[DeTomaso] Fwd: Hammer Price Portfolio Report - Sunday, August 26,

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 27 22:01:02 EDT 2018

I spent much of the day at Mecum on Friday, I would agree definitely a softening overall, but was surprised by a few strong sales where I didn't expect e.g. three 'Herbie' VW bugs went for ~$100K each and thene there was $467K for a Porsche 959 that had been crashed into a tree when the trailer separated from the tow vehicle.!  Mecum almost looked like a new car lot with all the modern super cars, most of which didn't seem to sell or have a lot of bidding interest, but that is understandable when considering the 12% commission either side and the fact (for me at least) it's considered a dealer sale and NV wants its 8% sales tax on top.

When I looked at the Russo & Steele lot list to see if it was worth the price of entry I was pretty disappointed with the showing.

In contrast RM who attract the higher end collector cars reported a record $157M in sales, albeit half of that was in 3 cars, with a record setting $48M Ferrari 250GTO, an Aston Martin prototype at $21M and the Le Mans winning GT40 P1016 at just shy of $10M.

I have to wonder whether the frequency of auctions isn't impacting Monterey in particular, where accommodation is already at a premium for everything that is going on. It seems that Mecum in particular is akin to a roaming circus show, moving tent from one location to another, there's at least one auction a month now. The same cars can't change hands that frequently and everyone make money (other than the auction house that is), so new cars need to constantly come to market!

Sorry I missed you Gray, they were furiously working on your B16 when I went by J&L on Saturday, but you definitely put on a good showing in the races!

Julian