[DeTomaso] Asa Jay's next engine build - 1971 Mach I Mustang, Open Road Racing

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sat Aug 18 17:04:50 EDT 2018

Hi all,

I'm starting this thread to begin documenting my next 351C engine build
and in the process, asking for guidance, recommendations, and
experience.  My name is Asa Jay Laughton (pronounced Ace-uh, Jay,
Lawton),  I live in the Spokane, Washington area (that's the East side
of Washington next to Idaho, not the "other" Washington.)  :)

I have an A.A.S in Automotive Technology (mostly unused as I went into a
different profession).  I rebuilt a 351C as my class project in Engines
during colledge.  That engine went into a 1973 Mustang fastback and a
couple years later was transplanted into a 1971 Mach I.  It ran for many
years, from about 1985 until 1999 and was an everyday driver through
about 1993.

In about 2001, I rebuilt a new engine for the Mach I with a lot more
bragging rights.  It featured a roller cam with the Crane roller
conversion kit, a Crane stud-mount rocker conversion kit, full roller
rockers, 4V quench heads, Pete Jackson quiet timing gear set, MPG
windage tray and a few other goodies.  You can see details about that
build here:

http://www.asajay.com/351rebuild/351rebuild.htm

Later, in about 2012, I pulled that engine from the Mach I, refreshed it
and re-installed it in my 1973 DeTomaso Pantera for racing in the Silver
State Classic Challenge (SSCC).  You can see more about that here:

http://teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=5096

I sold the Pantera in 2015 to another avid race driver who has since
taken it to the next level.

This left me with the 1971 Mach I Mustang… without an engine.

I've collected a few complete engines over the past several years and
I'm now involved in trying to get the Mach I back on the road to do more
Silver State Classic Challenge open road races.  You can see more about
that project here:

https://www.facebook.com/asajaysracingforautism

I'm a founding member of the DeTomaso email forum and know many in the
Pantera world, including Mark Skwarek, Hugh Casey (rest in peace), Mike
and Lori Drew, Gerry Romack, Dennis (Mad Dog) Antenucci and many, many
others, some who have had their engine specs published on this and/or
other forums.  I see Mark and Dennis at SSCC regularly and Gerry came
out last year with his new engine from Dave McLain.  I had the privilege
of sitting at the same table as Dan Jones at a POCA Fun Rally many years
ago and have followed his 351C dyno project off-and-on since about the
beginning.  I'm of the belief that Dan has more knowledge in his little
finger than I have in my whole body.

With all that in mind…

I need to build a new 351C engine and I'm soliciting pointers.

Overall Goals:

140 MPH minimum top-end during open road racing in a 1971 Mach I Mustang

Smooth -enough- idle to drive on the street to shows, out to dinner,
etc. (a bit of rumpity-rump is okay, stalling isn't)

Fits under the stock RamAir hood of a 1971 Mach I

Can take advantage of the RamAir Intake system (minor mods to RamAir
okay but no holes in the hood)

Details about other (non-engine) components:

Will be mated to a C6 auto transmission (yes, I understand a four-speed
or other Auto-trans may be better, but I'm using a C6 to start with)

Specs on the parts used in the C6:

Ford Motorsport M-7398-C Wide Ratio Gear set,

Ford Motorsport M-7044-A Heavy Duty Clutch

Ford Motorsport M-7027-A famous "R" intermediate servo assembly,

Ford Motorsport M-1794-C6 tranny pan with integrated drain

Transgo Shift Kit

Built to Police Interceptor specs

Locally custom-rebuilt torque converter with approximate 1,800 stall speed

Stock Ford 9" rear end with 3:00 gearset  (I have a 2:99 available
somewhere)

Engine goals:

I'm not "set" on this list of desired items for my build, it's just a
starting point and I'm flexible

Minimum bore as possible (current block appears to be less than 0.005
wear but will need professional assessment)

I'd like to build a Stroker this time around

Solid roller cam (I may be willing to go hydraulic roller again)

Cam specs TBD

Full roller rockers

Aluminum heads (leaning toward TrickFlow 195 or 225)

I have a set of stock cast iron 4V quench heads (bare) that I could use

Armando T-pan for open road racing

MPG windage tray

Stock volume/pressure oil pump

Canton 2-quart oil accumulator

ACL main and rod bearings

Gear-drive timing set

Hooker Super-Competition 4V headers (this may need to change)

I'm looking at the specs used between the builds done for Mark Skwarek
and Hugh Casey in these to forum postings:

>From <http://www.the351cforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=577>

>From <http://www.the351cforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=569>

Those were impressive builds and I want to do something very similar.
I've seen Mark's engine in action.  There is enough documented there to
get me started.  What I -don't- readily know is where to get some of the
parts or specs necessary.

Where do I go for a good stroker kit and what's in it, or do I source
the parts separately?

Where do I get the best pistons?

What's the best cam profile to use for my use case?

What's the best intake that will fit under the hood?

I also have to select a local machine shop to do all the block work.
The last time I did this I had a friend who worked at a place but he's
moved on so I have to find a new vendor.  I'll of course need to find
one familiar with the 351C so they don't screw it up.

I really want to build this on my own (well, sans the machining part).
But, if it comes down to it, I'm not against sending it to Dave McLain
because he comes so highly spoken of by many people.

There we have it.  I need to build this by September 2019 for that
year's Silver State Classic Challenge.  Any and all ideas, pointers,
recommendations and cautions are welcome.

Thank you,

Asa  Jay

-- this information may be found posted to more than one forum and/or
email list --

--
Asa Jay Laughton - W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
Spokane County ARES-RACES Net Manager