[DeTomaso] 351C New Parts

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Aug 10 12:10:50 EDT 2018

David,

Before you do ANYTHING you need to be honest with yourself and decide what kind of engine you want. The possibilities are endless, from mild grocery-getter to rip-snorting monster.

Often engine builders will simply make assumptions and build you an engine that THEY think you want, rather than the engine YOU think you want. That often leads to excessive expense and/or unhappiness.

Be honest with yourself and determine what you are trying to achieve. Then communicate that very clearly to the engine builder.

Part of the problem is that an engine is like a house. If you are having a home made, the process doesn’t start with the contractor wielding a saw and a hammer. It starts with an architect that produces a design, and then the builder builds it. The problem with the 351C is that it is unique in many ways, and most perfectly good engine builders lack the knowledge to function as an architect first.

My first engine was built by a great builder who had no clue about the Cleveland. It was built extremely well with excellent parts that were not designed to work together, and the resultant engine was really terrible. An engine is a SYSTEM and all components need to be harmonized. The camshaft is the heart of the engine, but variations in cylinder head, intake and exhaust can mean that the same cam is excellent in one engine and terrible in another.

There are some universal constants. Stock valves routinely break and destroy engines, so at a minimum any 351C rebuild should include the fitment of one-piece stainless valves. I personally consider it pointless to fit expensive valves in a terrible open-chamber cylinder head, so unless your engine already has 1971-spec closed-chamber heads, I would definitely advocate sourcing some (assuming you want to retain originality). By the time you have bought them and had them reconditioned and rebuilt, you will probably have spent $1200 or so, and at that point you’re not far off from arguably superior aluminum heads. Edelbrock heads are designed to work with stock displacement engines and they are a pretty cost-effective upgrade. But of course you will have then moved away from the ‘stock’ path, and also they require a different intake manifold.

Do you currently still have the iron intake and stock carb? Those are few and far between these days because they are so terrible. The vast majority of cars out there with more or less standard engines have an Edelbrock Performer 4V intake and some sort of Holley carb. Those are an excellent choice for a moderate engine. If you have the original items, it’s likely the car runs pretty terribly.

What is prompting your desire to rebuild the engine anyway? Is it smoking or burning oil excessively?  If the only issue you are having is poor driveability, and you still have the stock intake and carb, you might see tremendous gains just by installing the Edelbrock/Holley combo. A 600 or 650 is all you want.

Tell us more?

Mike

Sent from my iPad

   On Aug 10, 2018, at 07:40, "[1]djenkins at vanguardtrailer.com"