[DeTomaso] Pantera engine rebuild

djenkins at vanguardtrailer.com djenkins at vanguardtrailer.com
Fri Aug 10 04:37:31 EDT 2018

Thanks Charles and Garth for the information and recommendations.

DaveSent from my Verizon LG Smartphone
------ Original message------From: Charles Engles Date: Thu, Aug 9, 2018 7:20 PMTo: djenkins at vanguardtrailer.com;Cc: Subject:Pantera engine rebuild
Dear Dave,

              My cursed Cox email has gone schizo on me again, so I must use this email account.
             Stock rebuild.  No fancy changes.  No aluminum heads nor intake.
              I would urge replacement of the stock nylon timing chain gear and the two piece valves.  I would recommend replacing the oil, fuel and water pumps.  You should have the block sonic tested before you go very far to make sure the cylinders can tolerate some over-boring up to "thirty thousandths over stock".   If that happens then you'll need some new pistons.   .....and new hydraulic lifters and camshaft and pushrods.   Gaskets for a stock rebuild: hipo FelPro should be adequate.  The parts that you would need should be available through your local shop; they can certainly be found at Summit or Jegs or Tim Meyer (has a website and specializes in Fords and Clevelands).   Also Brent Lykins is an engine builder who specializes in Clevelands and who has expertise in camshafts for Clevelands. He has a website and Cleveland discussion forum site.  You might consult him about a camshaft recommendation.
              Oh!   Distributor: stay stock or go with Duraspark or MSD.   MSD is available everywhere,   Duraspark is well regarded, but I can't tell where to find it.
              Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles