[DeTomaso] Inlet Manifold gaskets

richard boschert theemonkey at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 16:38:58 EDT 2018

I have had good luck with the Felpro performance series of gaskets on my Windsor motors.

 Failure is usually improper installation.

In this case it appears they used the wrong type of silicone,and way too much of it.Black is for oil,not water.Blue is for gaskets around water.

I use a very small amount of the ultra blue around the water ports.Use ULTRA blue as it is sensor safe,versus normal blue which is not.I seem to recall you have fuel injection,hence sensor safe is needed.Wear latex gloves,and use a finger to spread it around the port on both sides of the gasket.Let it set for at least 15 minutes to skim over.Any excess will get pushed out either into the lifter valley or into the cooling system,so only use a small amount of the silicone.You use the silicone to help keep the gasket in place and to make up for very minor gaps or porous surfaces.If it has a large gap.Get the heads/intake machined or replace them.

I also do not use the cork or rubber end seals.I use ultra black or ultra grey instead.This area does get a large bead of the silicone as it has to replace the cork/rubber end seals which are around 3/8 of an inch thick.This area has to be really clean before you can use silicone.Any oil on the surface and it will not stick and it will leak.

Good luck, Richard