[DeTomaso] Inlet Manifold gaskets

Steve steve at snclocks.com
Sat Aug 4 23:13:19 EDT 2018

I am in the midst of replacing the cam in the Roush 427R that came in our Superformance Daytona Coupe - with a focus on making the engine more streetable - as in being able to drive the car at less than 2,000 rpm without it bucking and carrying on like a spoilt child.  So, needed to pull the inlet manifold.  And was rather surprised to see what a mess the gaskets were around the water passages between the inlet manifold and the block.  I have attached one photo - more can be seen here:  https://www.snclocks.com/TheRestofourWorld/Automotove-Techinical-Articles/Roush-427R-Inlet-manifold-gaskets/i-D2d6jb9 .  It looks like Roush installed the gaskets dry around the inlet manifold air ports, but used black silicone around the water ports - and not only made a mess, but I am amazed there was not a leak from the cooling jacket into the valley below the inlet manifold or to the outside of the engine.

Have any of you seen a mess like this before on a 351 Windsor (the basis of the Roush 427)?  Any recommendations for gasket makers for the gaskets I will be needing to put this engine back together?

Also was amazed at how many bits of squeezed out silicone beads there were in the oil pan and the oil pump inlet screen.  Not an impressive showing for Roush.

Stephen Nelson