[DeTomaso] Fuel tank return for electric fuel pumps?

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 1 11:33:46 EDT 2018

Hi Corey,

I'm not running EFI yet, but may someday in the future.  Anyway, I put a Groco 90-degree fuel valve on the bottom of my gas tank in place of the drain plug.  The 1/2" NPT thread on the Groco valve will thread into the metric drain opening on the tank and seals with quality pipe dope and a generic O-ring from O'reilly Auto Parts.

Benefits of the Groco valve are...
1. It doesn't restrict fuel flow like a Banjo fitting - it never ceases to amaze me when I see high horsepower engines with 1/2" fuel lines connected to a restrictive banjo fitting that likely has a 1/4" (or less) internal diameter at best!
2. You can close the valve if you ever need to remove your engine, change your fuel pump, or just replace the fuel line - no futzing around with clamps or vice grips to try and stem the flow of fuel from the tank if you ever need to perform one of these tasks.  AND, it serves as a great anti-theft device as well.  If someone manages to hotwire the car, they won't get more than a few yards down the street before it'll run out of gas.

Here are a couple of links to the valve - I have the stainless version. I imagine brass would be just fine too.
http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Fuel_Valves-Groco_FV590_90_Degree_Brass_Fuel_Valve.html

https://www.carid.com/groco/groco-1-2-npt-90-degree-fuel-valve-627885382.html

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=56744

Anyway, if/when I add EFI to my car I will use the original pickup location on top of the tank to plumb the return line.

Cheers!
Garth