[DeTomaso] The Many Loves of Judy McCartney

laurieferrari at aol.com laurieferrari at aol.com
Wed Apr 25 20:11:54 EDT 2018

The Many Loves of Judy Mc Cartney, most notably for her Pantera
I just now learned of Judy’s passing.  It's sad to lose old friends.  I had written this story about Judy about a year or more ago, but she wasn’t in a great mood at the time and I didn’t feel like sharingjust then.  I now wish to give people whodid not know her or know her well, some insight into Judy in better times, as she has beenan integral fixture and part of POCA’s history.
After a several hour phone call with Judy the other eveningthat lasted until the wee hours of the morning and only ended because her phonebattery died, I learned a great deal of her amazing past.  The original purpose of my call was to getthe contact information on a new member as Judy has been the MembershipChairperson of POCA since 1993 and one of a rare breed. She'll be quick to remind you, she’s been a POCAmember for forty years!
Judy is that sweet, but can be salty, little ladyof small stature, blond hair, adorned with Pantera earrings (that she got from me),and who greets you at the registration table for our yearly rallies and is seenat almost every POCA function she is able to attend.   Presentlyher chapter affiliation is with TPOC, Team Pantera Orange County, but hasbelonged to CHPIE and Foothill Chapters in her earlier years.  What people may not know is that Judy hasowned her 1972 Pantera since November 7, 1975 which she purchased as a singlelady of thirty- seven.  She claims withpride that she celebrates its birthday every year on that day.  How she happened to seek out a Pantera is an interestingtale.  Judy’s then boss for a packagingcompany was picking up his Corvette from a Lincoln Dealership where it had beenserviced.   Surprisingly he came back minus the Corvettebut with a new Pantera in its place. Judy had a chance to drive it and was so enthralled with the car’s powerand sound of the engine that she immediately decided she must have her own.  Her car was soon thereafter found at aGoodyear Tire Shop on Harbor Boulevard and was purchased for $9,000.
Judy also girlishly takes pride in relaying that she gotseven tickets her first year of ownership and subsequently so many that she waswarned by local officers that if she got one more, she’d lose her license.  She thus took her passion to the racetrackand there she really became acquainted with her lead foot at such places asTerminal Island Raceway. Her second husband, Rick, an avid car and boat racer,taught her the intricacies of racing.   Like an old time love story, Judy’s tale isone of enduring love through the years. She had met Rick in 1956 while on a date with another fellow.  It was love at first sight but it wasn’tuntil twenty years later that they eventually wed in Las Vegas.  That was years after her marriage to first husband,Fred Johnson, with whom she had two sons.  Rick, she says, was the first great love in her life.  Sadly she lost him to cancer in 1988.
As we spoke, Judy carried on side conversations with herother loves, her two sons, one visiting from Palm Desert, Brad, and her otherson Jeff who is also a member and on the board of TPOC.  She mentioned it is Jeff who most likely will someday carryon the family tradition as the proud owner of her treasured Pantera. Heryoungest love is her grandson, Chris, now twenty-four years old and who she hasraised since he was five. Her littlest love is her Himalayan kitty cat.
Judy’s stories are too numerous and lengthy for thiscondensed biography but if you ever stop her at the next event, no doubt shewill captivate you with POCA trivia from the past.  She retells of her close friendships withmany of the founding members of POCA, her dating history, and her never endingaffection for her Pantera which has survived a few mishaps as has she.  Another of her close friends is Santiago DeTomasoand Judy explained how she asked him to research the special blue color shedesired for her car (originally yellow.) He obliged and located the code. It’s an older Toyota color, same blueas used on France Krup’s SI Targa Car.  Thecar was beautifully repainted by Jorge Atlas Body and Paint.  She also gave praise to one of her favorite technicians, Tommy Hodges.
Judy may be tiny in appearance but don’t underestimate thefact that she is a fierce fighter. She has undergone heartbreaking loses in herlifetime and has battled many challenges to her health including a serious incident sufferedat a TPOC Christmas luncheon in 2014. She’s ever so grateful to astute members who noticed something was wrong and called 911 and insisted she was taken to the hospital.   She remained at UC Irvine for five days.  She further shared that she is currentlymanaging other serious issues.  She has a wonderful supportive network of her loving family and great friends.  Here’s a salute to Judy for her many yearsof service to POCA and her dedication and love of Panteras.
Rest in Peace Judy and thank you for all the goodmemories!