[DeTomaso] 4-way flasher switch

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Apr 25 03:24:48 EDT 2018

There are two versions of that switch in Panteras. One type uses a metal cage to hold the switch parts together ('73?), Remove from dash- Note that you don't have to undo all the wires to that switch. 8" further under the dash is a big rectangular connector! Unnbend the metal tabs, then shim the internal follower so it again stays in its track.  I used two small strips cut from a Gary Hall business card to shim my follower. The other type ('71?) uses 6 plastic detents to hold the switch and without a tool that pushes ALL the detents in simultaneously, the thing cannot be disassembled. Most FIAT & Alfa Romeo switches are identical but the embossed number in back may be different. The threaded retaining ring & bulb will interchange. I wrote an article, with illustrations, decades ago in your Newsletter. The May '06 issue was one. Download that issue from the POCA Website for free... if you are a member and don't have that issue handy.

Do not use a matchstick or toothpick to jam the bad switch. If you push the button in only slightly too far, it disconnects your stoplights & tail lights and you will receive a fix-it ticket from alert cops. One fix that worked for some is to play around with the position of the button while progressively tightening a small worm-screw hose clamp around the body. Whats happened is, internal spring pressure in the switch-guts sightly swells the plastic switch body so the follower inside no longer follows a cast track. The clamp compresses the body so the follower, if its in the right place to start with, is forced to follow the track and your switch works again. Obviously, the follower must be in the correct place to start with and the clamp must NOT be too tight or it jams up the switch. Larry Stock has new switches in stock, and (I think) a few used ones.