[DeTomaso] To gel battery, or not...

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Wed Apr 18 18:59:41 EDT 2018

My Pantera had a new AC Delco six-month battery in it when we picked it up.  That battery lasted about 15 years.  It was a "sealed" lead-acid.  No access to the fill holes, but it did have a venting system.  I was very sad when it finally gave up.

I replaced it with an AGM from Sears I think.  That was when they were re-branding the Odyssey battery as the Platinum Die-hard.  I understand they no longer do that.

I miss that old battery, it lived a long and exciting life.

I understand Optima began having problems several years ago, but I've not heard any more in recent years so maybe they got things on-track again.  I currently have a blue-top Optima that I won at the Silver State Clasic Challenge in 2015.  I use it for  powering DC radios and other accessories; it doesn't live in a car currently.

I know folks who either buy Costco, or Walmart.  Pretty much assured of getting a free or pro-rated replacement just about anywhere.

Asa  Jay

⁣Asa  Jay  Laughton, W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, retired
Sent using Jedi Mind Tricks​

On Apr 18, 2018, 14:19, at 14:19, Jack DeRyke via DeTomaso <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:
>Not to me. 7 yrs is average for ANY lead-acid battery. A Costco battery
>at $75 will also last 7 yrs... and at 26 lbs, it starts my 10-1.2:1
>c.r. 351C every time. YMMV- J DeRyke

-------------- next part --------------
   My Pantera had a new AC Delco six-month battery in it when we picked it
   up.A  That battery lasted about 15 years.A  It was a "sealed"
   lead-acid.A  No access to the fill holes, but it did have a venting
   system.A  I was very sad when it finally gave up.

   I replaced it with an AGM from Sears I think.A  That was when they were
   re-branding the Odyssey battery as the Platinum Die-hard.A  I
   understand they no longer do that.

   I miss that old battery, it lived a long and exciting life.

   I understand Optima began having problems several years ago, but I've
   not heard any more in recent years so maybe they got things on-track
   again.A  I currently have a blue-top Optima that I won at the Silver
   State Clasic Challenge in 2015.A  I use it forA  powering DC radios and
   other accessories; it doesn't live in a car currently.

   I know folks who either buy Costco, or Walmart.A  Pretty much assured
   of getting a free or pro-rated replacement just about anywhere.

   AsaA  Jay

   AsaA  JayA  Laughton, W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, retired

   Sent using Jedi Mind Tricks

   On Apr 18, 2018, at 14:19, Jack DeRyke via DeTomaso

Not to me. 7 yrs is average for ANY lead-acid battery. A Costco battery at $75 w
ill also last 7 yrs... and at 26 lbs, it starts my 10-1.2:1 c.r. 351C every time
. YMMV- J DeRyke
nks above.
Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any message p