[DeTomaso] 3rd gear?

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sat Apr 14 10:16:45 EDT 2018

Dear Rob,

               If the Pantera was shifting well before its slumber and is now missing third gear, then it is a little hard to understand, but these things can happen.

                              Tips taken from decades of Pantera shifter linkage/ZF mis-adventures at the Pantera Research Institute.

1:  if you haven't flushed and bled the slave cylinder in a couple of years, then first do that.

2:  Inspect the shift linkage trunnion support,  If the big nut has loosened and the support is loose, then that may be the culprit

3:  Inspect your shift linkage little U-joints.  If one is loose that could be your culprit.  If they are the stock ones, then it is less likely they'll loosen, but not impossible.  If they are the bling-bling little U-joints, then it is more likely.

4:  Be sure to check the hidden U-joint under the ash tray in the center console.  Just remove the ash tray and move your shift linkage.  That damned culprit gave me ulcers and grey hair  for months until Les Gray suggested it to me.   If it is the problem,  then IIRC you can tighten the U joint nut/bolt through the ash tray opening without removing the center console.

5:  It might be that everything is fine and that you need to just need adjust your shift linkage with the standard protocol.   However, I would suspect the problem to be in items one through four as being more likely.

                     Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles