[DeTomaso] Deck lid warping

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sun Apr 1 16:14:44 EDT 2018

Dave, its not unknown that the stock reinforcing deck lid 'spider' inside comes loose from the decklid skin. The spider was never firmly attached, only crimped around the edges, with a kind of 'body-putty' between most of the rest, to hold it against the skin. I think the spider is mostly for vibration suppression or drumming, but your problem is so unusual. Maybe scrape the old stuff out and re-glue the spider to the inside of the skin with something better?

If you push down on the bowed-up deck lid when its closed, what parts move most to close up the gaps? You might actually have a stress crack in the metal skin near an edge. Depending on how much it bugs you, you could try to find a different deck lid- even a fiberglas replica. Good luck- J DeRyke