[DeTomaso] Engine gaskets

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sat Sep 30 16:00:23 EDT 2017

Dear Charlie,

                 "Hmm.  Rear main seal leak.  Very bad.  You should pull the
engine."    Anonymous

                  Given your situation in Spain, which I believe means that
you don't have a well-equipped garage and that you'll probably have to take
it a  local reputable shop you trust, then:

Option 1:  do it yourself in the garage.  I have a lift.  I have done some
lower end engine work with the engine in situ.  It is a real PITA.   I am
sure that it would be a royal PITA to do without a lift.   If you try to
remove and replace the rear main seal yourself, then it can be done.  It is
not done easily unless you're a pro.

Option 2: pull the engine and do *whatever* is necessary for the main issue
and the inevitable secondary discoveries that are found with the engine
fully accessible.   Bad news:  it is a job to pull the drive train out.
Good news:  it is much, much easier to do rear main seal and any other
engine work on an engine stand.     Other benefits are that you can inspect
your ZF throw out bearing, clutch, pressure plate, etc.

In my engine building efforts, I have had two instances of RMS leak.   The
first time I pulled the engine, I had major mixed emotions.   After the ease
of the first repair, which lasted until I rebuilt it 14 years later, I did
not hesitate when the second instance of RMS leak occurred.

IIRC, you want the brown Viton rear main seal.   You do not want the more
common *black* RMS because it has a reputation for *leakage*.   The pros
prefer the brown.  The last one I bought was from Ford Racing and was pricey
at about $20.   The black one is, guess what,  cheaper!

 Dan Jones recommends the Mr. Gasket 351C  Ultra Seal #5892 for an oil pan
gasket and I have used them on the last two engines.

Viton 2 piece part no: 23351  or...   CGT-C5892

            Caveats: I may have forgotten something and other opinions do
exist.

                              Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles