[DeTomaso] Gear Oil

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Thu Sep 28 23:21:35 EDT 2017

Oils designed for limited slip diffs have an additive that makes them MORE slippery. this is so the clutches do not bind.

But using it in a gearbox is bad because the extra slipperiness makes it hard for the synchros to grab, thus causing wear.

Also, the ZF box has no hypoid gears, so you don't need the extra sulfur added to most GL-5 gearbox oils, which can also cause gear wear on brass gears.

I use RedLine MT90, which is a 75W-90 GL4 oil.

I use the same in my Dino.

Jim