[DeTomaso] Gear Oil

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Sep 28 22:24:32 EDT 2017

Paul,

Limited-slip gear oil has Friction Modifier (FM) additives designed to prevent the stick-slip chatter that can occur with LS rear ends when going around corners in a low-speed, high-torque scenario. There is no harm using LS gear oil in an open differential, but a LS differential won't be happy with a conventional gear oil, unless LS additive is introduced separately.

Most transaxles including our ZFs need 80w90 GL-5 non-LS oil, even though they have limited slip differentials. The design of our differentials is not like that in a conventional typical automotive stand-alone differential, so the oil needs are different.

Mike

Sent from my iPad