[DeTomaso] The 351C dyno mule is on its way to Silver State... I think

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 17:55:15 EDT 2017

Got a call today that Gerry Romack was warming up the 351C dyno mule engine
which now resides in his Pantera.  Pending a successful shakedown run, the
plan was to load the car up on the trailer and drive to Nevada.  Once
there, he has to meet up with Larry Stock to replace a scored rotor and
pad, complete rookie orientation Thursday morning and pass tech inspection
before running the race.  Why is he using the dyno engine, you may ask?  He
called a couple of weeks ago to see if I had an engine available as he was
signed up for the race but his engine had developed a bad vibration.  I
didn't have anything ready built and two weeks was too short to build one
from scratch but the dyno 351C was sitting covered up at Dave McLain's
shop.  I contacted Dave and he said he was game so a plan was hatched, a
deal was made and parts were ordered.  Dave had the engine running on the
dyno Thursday and Gerry met us Friday.  We spent some more time on the dyno
then loaded the engine in the trailer late Friday afternoon and sent Gerry
on his way to Dave Doddeck's place in Peoria, IL.  Saturday and Sunday
Dave, Gerry and several other members of the Great Lakes chapter of the
Pantera Owners Club of America spent the day swapping the engine and fixing
various issues.  Gerry was running EFI but we didn't have time to tune the
system on the dyno so I lent him an intake and distributor and McLain lent
him his dyno carb and fuel log for the race.  Also, the Armondo gated and
baffled road race pan didn't arrive in time so I swapped him the one from
my Fontana engine.

The engine consists of the dyno mule short block (stock stroke with 0.030"
over TRW L2379F forged flat top pistons, Reed hydraulic roller cam, Crane
link bar hydraulic roller lifters), a pair of Trick Flow Specialties 195cc
351C-2V aluminum cylinder heads and a Weiand X-Celerator 351C-2V low rise
single plane (p/n 7516).  On the dyno, the little 351C made 491 HP @ 6000
RPM and torque was over 400 ft-lbs from 3500 RPM to 6000 RPM with a peak of
470 ft-lbs.  The dyno runs were made through 1 3/4" diameter primary, 3"
diameter collector, Mustang chassis long tube headers, intermediate pipes
and a pair Magnaflow mufflers.  Best timing was at 28 degrees.  Flow bench
numbers are below.

We had several 351C-2V intakes available for testing including Offenhauser
Dual Port, Edelbrock Performer 2V, Holley Street Dominator 2V, Weiand
Xcelerator 2V and Edelbrock RPM Air Gap 2V but, due to time constraints, we
only ran the Weiand.  In previous testing, the Weiand was bested by the
Holley Street Dominator and Parker Funnelweb and I think the RPM Air Gap
would have done quite well on this engine but those test will have to wait
for another day.  In any case, I'm sure this engine would top 500 HP with
only an intake manifold swap.

I'll do a full write up with pictures later.

Dan Jones

        Intake  Exhaust
Lift     2.08"   1.60"
Inches    CFM     CFM
0.025    13.3    10.3
0.050    32.8    26.8
0.100    64.8    55.9
0.150    98.5    87.0
0.200   134.1   114.9
0.250   164.6   136.0
0.300   193.5   154.8
0.350   220.6   173.0
0.400   240.6   190.4
0.450   266.8   200.8
0.500   283.6   206.1
0.550   298.8   208.9
0.600   304.0   211.2
0.650   312.2   212.3
0.700   289.4   213.3
0.750   290.5   213.8
0.800   290.6   215.9

TFS 195cc 351C-2V heads, 62cc chambers, tested on Dave McLain's SuperFlow
flow bench at 10" and converted to 28", clayed intake radius but no exhaust
pipe.