[DeTomaso] Adjusting front hood latch

The DeTomaso Registry Guy detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 17:31:06 EDT 2017

Jim,

I am looking at your photo now...  Not sure exactly about your symptoms.

It has been decades since I had to futz or fettle with my hood latch.
I'll have to go later and review my latch, to understand how it works (again).

But I think the front fork (with the spring attached) is what pops up
the hood when you pull the release lever.
So when closed this should be below the hood pin.

What I remember from my latch introduction, was that the forks, if not well lubricated,
would keep the components from going completely down, until you hear the click.

Thumb it back all the way and check.  Does it work if you manually position the fork(s)?

Adding a new trunk gasket can cause fitment issues also.

How should one close (latch) a hood ?
It scares me to see someone (rarely an owner) DROP a hood (even part way down) in order
to close the hood... I >set< the hood down gently, then with the palm of my hand right above
the latch, I apply/press down brief and quick to hear the 'click'.
If it does not click easily, I thumb the rear fork back up and then repeat.

While the latch can be adjusted,
almost always a failure to latch is (lack of sufficient) lubricant related.

Chuck

All,

The front hood latch is not latching.

Almost looks like the latching mechanism needs adjusting but I do not know
how to adjust.

It appears the pin on the hood is actually catching the upper 'tine' of the
front 'fork' of the latch. Either that or the back 'fork' is not opening up
enough to allow the pin to slip behind it. Any way that is my take.

I have attached a picture of the latch in the open position. It just does
not seem right.

Was working fine last time I opened the front hood about a month ago.

Are there directions for adjusting this latching mechanism somewhere?

Thanks,

Jim Kosloskey

1974 Pantera L Yellow #6949