[DeTomaso] Run position of ignition switch kaputt?

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Mon Sep 4 17:29:36 EDT 2017

My car had no symptoms of this previously, but today when I went to start it it would only run as long as the key was in the "engage starter motor" position. As soon as I released the key back to the Run position it would stop

After several episodes of that, it did start and I backed it out of the garage, but then it died and refused to start again.

There is no power to the gauges or warning lights in the Run position.

I had similar symptoms with my Alfa once, and it was a bad ignition switch.

Anything else it could be?  I am not very good with wiring diagrams, so I thought I'd turn to everyone's extensive knowledge before struggling with it.

Thanks,

Jim