[DeTomaso] NPC (sort of) TIG Welder Recommendations

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Oct 31 16:14:59 EDT 2017

Cory, due to aluminum's excellent heat radiation, it takes a LOT of amperage to weld aluminum or mag, especially big chunks like heads and blocks. I learned on a 300 Miller and own a Lincoln 300/300 TIG/Arc, and I seldom go over 100 amps with stainless or mild steel (straight polarity). But with aluminum (reverse polarity), I often use 300 amps for good penetration- on heads or trannys for instance. I also use straight argon but if you're rich, straight helium will increase a machine's capability with a given amperage. My mentor once told me, 'You can learn to TIG-weld aluminum in 15 minutes. To get good at it will take a lifetime'. He was right. I've been at this for 35 yrs and I'm still only a metal-melter, not a pro welder.

TIG welding is like riding a motorcycle: you need both hands and at least one foot to simultaneously control everything so coordination is important. Besides the TIG machine and a torch, you'll also need a gas flow meter, a foot pedal amp controller, a big gas bottle for argon or helium and a regulated water supply & drain if you decide to use a water-cooled torch. Air cooled TIG-torches throw off a LOT of heat- I have both and seldom use the air cooled one- too clumsy and you'll find yourself using thick welder's gloves with the air cooled version. Which makes handling the big air-torch even more clumsy.

You'll also need a package of tungsten electrodes in various sizes & a grinder to sharpen them and remove 'oopsies', as accidently touching the tungsten electrode with an aluminum feeder rod while running a bead will instantly coat the exposed electrode with aluminum. This stops the welding process. It also sometimes shocks you if you're welding barehanded. Its a lot like gas welding steel except melting aluminum doesn't change color- it turns into a vapor. One last caution: TIG-ing in shirt sleeves for more than about 5 minutes will sunburn any exposed skin- your neck, under your arms etc  due to the intense UV from the torch. Good luck and as in most things, practice a lot!
J DeRyke