[DeTomaso] seeking 'special' turn signal stalk/switch

Thomas Törnblom thomas at hax.se
Tue Oct 10 02:17:23 EDT 2017

Den 2017-10-10 kl. 04:00, skrev Mike Drew via DeTomaso:
>     In a message dated 10/9/17 16 24 24, jim.kosloskey at jim-kosloskey.com
>     writes:
>     If 'flash to pass' is activated will the headlights be raised?
>     >>>I suppose it all depends on how it's wired.  It would be laughable
>     to wire the switch the way you would for a car with fixed headlights.
>     The whole point is to instantly flash the lights at the slowpoke in
>     front of you to either get him to move out of the way, or indicate that
>     you are about to pass him.  If you rigged that up with the Pantera
>     headlights, it would take ages to raise the buckets and flash the
>     lights.
>     The later Panteras *may* have had the later 'flash to pass' switch
>     hooked up to the fog lights (GT5 and GT5-S).  I'm sure an owner of one
>     of those cars could confirm/deny.

My GT5 has that switch, and it works like on a normal car, it flashes
the high beam. It does not raise the buckets though, so pretty useless
with the lights off. It would be useful if one has driving lights wired
in parallel with high beam, which I don't have. I have fog lights wired
as DRL:s instead.

I have a bunch of these switches that I scavenged from various Swedish
recyclers a few years ago. They were from various European Fords,
Escorts mostly. They are not identical to the OEM switch in my car, but
the stalk look the same. It will need a different return thingy, which
probably can be made from a short piece of pipe. The connector is not
the same either.

Cheers,
Thomas

-------------- next part --------------

   In a message dated 10/9/17 16 24 24, [1]jim.kosloskey at jim-kosloskey.com
   writes:
   If 'flash to pass' is activated will the headlights be raised?
   >>>I suppose it all depends on how it's wired.  It would be laughable
   to wire the switch the way you would for a car with fixed headlights.
   The whole point is to instantly flash the lights at the slowpoke in
   front of you to either get him to move out of the way, or indicate that
   you are about to pass him.  If you rigged that up with the Pantera
   headlights, it would take ages to raise the buckets and flash the
   lights.
   The later Panteras *may* have had the later 'flash to pass' switch
   hooked up to the fog lights (GT5 and GT5-S).  I'm sure an owner of one
   of those cars could confirm/deny.

   My GT5 has that switch, and it works like on a normal car, it flashes
   the high beam. It does not raise the buckets though, so pretty useless
   with the lights off. It would be useful if one has driving lights wired
   in parallel with high beam, which I don't have. I have fog lights wired
   as DRL:s instead.
   I have a bunch of these switches that I scavenged from various Swedish
   recyclers a few years ago. They were from various European Fords,
   Escorts mostly. They are not identical to the OEM switch in my car, but
   the stalk look the same. It will need a different return thingy, which
   probably can be made from a short piece of pipe. The connector is not
   the same either.
   Cheers,
   Thomas

   >If so is there one where there is no 'flash to pass'?
   >>>That is the conventional switch that all our 1971-74 cars came
   with.  Sourced from the 1971-73 Mercury Capri.
   >How much and how do I order?
   >>>Does your car not have a turn signal switch?  If not, then yes you
   need to buy one.  But if you already have a turn signal switch that
   otherwise is functional, except that it won't remain locked in the up
   or down position when the turn signal function is actuated, that is
   easily repaired.
   Not by you, but by SOBill Taylor, who just today was the recipient of
   so much well-deserved love.  You just unplug and remove your switch and
   pop it in the mail to him, and for a few bucks he fixes it and returns
   it to you.
   If you actually need a whole new switch, new 'offshore' copies are
   available from the Pantera vendors for $250.
   I have several original 1971-74 switches, rebuilt by SOBill, available
   for purchase for $175.
   Cheers!
   Mike

!DSPAM:59dc29b320443256826609!

nks above.

Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any message p
osted here to all past, current, or future members of the list. They also grant
the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of lis
t messages.

!DSPAM:59dc29b320443256826609!