[DeTomaso] ZF gears don't engage properly

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 5 12:34:39 EDT 2017

It sounds like there is enough residual drag on the clutch to prevent gear engagement, but not enough to overcome internal resistance in the gearbox to turn an output shaft/wheel. Can you get a 40 thou feeler gauge between the pressure and friction plates when the clutch is disengaged? Are you sure you have all the air bled from the clutch line?

The pilot bearing could also be dragging, I have encountered this in the past with a bronze oilite bushing or if the input shaft could be slightly damaged (easily done in shipping if not secured appropriately in a crate)

Julian