[DeTomaso] Jerry Brown wants to ban gasoline powered vehicles by 2027

Himes, Terry (397C) terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 2 00:16:56 EDT 2017

You are wrong sir.  Respectfully.  VOCs are produced by a lot of things. Not just cars. Paint, for example, releases TONS of VOC
into the air. If you calculate how much paint is sold it is easy to calculate how much VOC is released into the atmosphere. That’s
just one.  There are a thousand more. Printing inks, etc.  Anything manufactured via formula based batch process.  How do I know
this? I started my software company producing Manufacturing software for the made-by-formula industries.  Beside finance and inventory
control, my popular modules were Lab*Calc and MSDS. Tracking hazardous materials (raw & product) was important for right-to-know
laws but also labeling. If a tanker car turned over in your neighborhood, the fire department (etc) need to know what to do.
(ok. Too much information, I know ;-)

VOCs are an important precursor, or component in the formation of ground level ozone, a major part of California's smog problem.
By regulating the amount of VOCsin consumer products, ARB is helping to reduce smog and reduce public exposure to the hazards
associated with smog.Mar 27, 2014

Terry W. Himes
JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Dawn Spacecraft Team