[DeTomaso] NPC - anyone with firsthand experience of living or working in India?

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Thu Nov 30 14:48:39 EST 2017

Hi Charlie,
Itron does a fair amount of software dev out of an office in Bangalore.  We have over 100 employees there, mostly from India.  The office is in a secured office park, and so is our hotel.

Traffic is a nightmare.  In Bangalore, I wouldn't even bother with a car.  In fact, one of our managers from Liberty Lake (Spokane area) took a job there about three or four years ago.  He -never- drove, up until this year when he finally decided to try a scooter.  I'm not sure how that's worked out.

When I go, they pick me up at the airport and shuttle me anywhere I need to go.  There don't appear to be any traffic laws, only suggestions.  Lines on a road don't mean anything.  There will be three lanes of freeway and five cars abreast.  A horn is mandatory, they are beeping at all times.  Lane changes, turns, etc. Are all done within inches of other cars (I'd like to say more like millimeters).

If my job was in Bangalore, I would not take my Pantera, nor would I be driving at all.  Other folks might like the challenge.

Depending on where you are, the air quality can suffer and even the locals don't drink the water.  Like most places, you have nice people and not-so-nice people.  There is still a caste system in place so you sometimes need to be cautious about who you talk to.

I would echo the recommendations of the others.  You need to take a trip there along with your wife.  You need to experience the environment where the office is and where your residence would be; how to get between them, where are the stores you need, what will your wife be doing, etc.

It's nice to visit, in my case.  They take great care of me, great food, comfortable hotel, nice car.  I think living there however would present a whole other set of challenges and would probably suppress my driving hobby.

Keep asking questions though, its a big move, consider it carefully.

Asa  Jay

⁣Asa  Jay  Laughton, W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, retired
Sent using Jedi Mind Tricks​

-------------- next part --------------
   Hi Charlie,

   Itron does a fair amount of software dev out of an office in
   Bangalore.A  We have over 100 employees there, mostly from India.A  The
   office is in a secured office park, and so is our hotel.

   Traffic is a nightmare.A  In Bangalore, I wouldn't even bother with a
   car.A  In fact, one of our managers from Liberty Lake (Spokane area)
   took a job there about three or four years ago.A  He -never- drove, up
   until this year when he finally decided to try a scooter.A  I'm not
   sure how that's worked out.

   When I go, they pick me up at the airport and shuttle me anywhere I
   need to go.A  There don't appear to be any traffic laws, only
   suggestions.A  Lines on a road don't mean anything.A  There will be
   three lanes of freeway and five cars abreast.A  A horn is mandatory,
   they are beeping at all times.A  Lane changes, turns, etc. Are all done
   within inches of other cars (I'd like to say more like millimeters).

   If my job was in Bangalore, I would not take my Pantera, nor would I be
   driving at all.A  Other folks might like the challenge.

   Depending on where you are, the air quality can suffer and even the
   locals don't drink the water.A  Like most places, you have nice people
   and not-so-nice people.A  There is still a caste system in place so you
   sometimes need to be cautious about who you talk to.

   I would echo the recommendations of the others.A  You need to take a
   trip there along with your wife.A  You need to experience the
   environment where the office is and where your residence would be; how
   to get between them, where are the stores you need, what will your wife
   be doing, etc.

   It's nice to visit, in my case.A  They take great care of me, great
   food, comfortable hotel, nice car.A  I think living there however would
   present a whole other set of challenges and would probably suppress my
   driving hobby.

   Keep asking questions though, its a big move, consider it carefully.

   AsaA  Jay

   AsaA  JayA  Laughton, W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, retired

   Sent using Jedi Mind Tricks

   On Nov 30, 2017, at 09:36, Charles McCall <[1]charlesmccall at gmail.com>
Have just been offered a big-time promotion that would require relocating to
Chennai, India. I know absolutely nothing about the city or country, but I
have until March to take the decision.

Anyone spent a lot of time in the country, or had business dealings in India
that could give me some background?
nks above.
Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any message p