[DeTomaso] Kurt Busch Pantera-- wow!

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 11:48:46 EST 2017

Jeff,

I completely agree, anyone who believes there is any 'reality' in these shows is living in a virtual reality themselves. It's a shame all these car guy TV shows  now follow the same mantra with little technical content. The chassis changes were far more extensive than TV coverage alluded to; the engine bulkhead was removed and rebuilt into the roll cage, front trunk front bulkhead and floor removed, drop floor pans installed and one would hope some significant bracing to compensate for removing a good chunk of the chassis rail for the starter.

I came across an article by the guys that built the roll cage, looks like their guy did all the shake down testing in NC for Kurt to jump in at the end. It certainly wasn't portrayed that way on TV and the way the Daytona was passed was pure staging IMO. I'm surprised the Factory Five guys went for it, but some good exposure for the Daytona too, with likely scripted in fuel issues so they have some grace in losing.

http://www.tomlongracing.com/2017/11/20/driving-a-pantera-for-kurt-busch-on-discoverys-fast-n-loud/

I literally cringed when he peeled up the paint and then proceeded with a quick and dirty repair. Like many of these time constrained builds you have to wonder what compromises are made. It kinda reminds me of true movie cars, that are often bare shells or kit cars to look like something else to get the shot.

There's also some sly on air product endorsements presumably for cut price or free goods; PI Motorsports got a mention and a couple others. I had to chuckle at the poor fitment of the chin spoiler although the Monkeys were astute enough not to call out anyone, but you have to think all the Pantera vendor specific parts came from one vendor!

Julian