[DeTomaso] 2018 Hong Kong Pantera

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Tue Nov 28 16:05:16 EST 2017

I spoke with Steve Wilkinson today about this.

The pathway to the 2018 Pantera, and other similar ventures, is recent legislation allowing new replica cars to be produced in limited numbers - 250?? per builder - but they must be equipped with current year engines.

According to Steve, the CARB (California Air Resources Bureau) rules and regulations have not been finalized. Government moves slowly, when it moves at all. Hong Kong DeTomaso (HKDT) intended to use 2017 Ford motors, but due to the regulatory delays, have cancelled their order for 25 2017 engines.

Ford will supply HKDT the 2018 engines, but not prior to their Ford introduction. Likely end of 2018 until they are available for HKDT. That engine is about 3" taller than the 2017 engine previously selected, but apparently the 2018 Pantera can be re-engineered for that increased height.

Steve thinks the final body prototype may become a reality in early 2018, as it continues to progress at the builder in South Africa.

So:

Body not finalized

Rules and regulations to allow production not finalized

Preferred engines not available until late 2018

Sorry guys, I suggest you ask Santa for something else for this year.

Larry