[DeTomaso] Kurt Busch Pantera

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Nov 18 19:20:45 EST 2017

In a message dated 11/18/17 14 52 19, pantera at vtc.net writes:

> /The simple answer is that as speed increases, the sealed air box
> becomes a ram air system. The only place for the air to go is into the
> engine. I never bothered to test the design above 100 mph, but I never
> saw an inlet air temperature increase at any speed.//The only time the
> engine inlet air temperature went up is when the ambient temperature
> increased./
>

>>>I think the question was raised because over the years, loads of
armchair aerodynamicists, armed with facts/experience/knowledge/BS in varying
degrees, have postulated that as the speed increases, the laminar boundary layer
seperates from the skin of the car (and thus the scoops), leaving a
turbulent boundary layer behind.   It is a well-known "fact" that air scoops that
don't stick out very far have zero effect because they are in 'dead air' with
no actual flow, and you need the giant Hall 'elephant ear' scoops in order
to accomplish anything at triple-digit speeds.

I neither subscribe to this theory nor refute it--I freely admit I lack the
requisite facts/experience/knowledge to weigh in on the argument, other
than to clarify the argument itself....