[DeTomaso] Replacing Rear Brake Pads - what am I missing

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Nov 18 17:01:21 EST 2017

In a message dated 11/18/17 13 33 37, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

Tring to install the new rear brake pads (been 10 years since I've done
this).   I used a C-clamp to move the sliding cylinder back as far as it
will
go.   Now I'm trying to compress the piston, but it won't move.   I have
the
cover off of the master cylinder to allow fluid to flow back.   I've tried
using a large pair of channel lock pliars and the C-clamp to get the piston
to compress.   Is there something else I need to release or is the cylinder
just stuck?   Brakes were working OK at the end of the season.

>>>AAACCCKKK!!!!!

I'm so glad you put down the tools of destruction and fired up your
computer!   The process you were following is how many people have destroyed their
rear calipers!

The parking brake system uses an internal magical ratcheting system that I
confess I have never understood.   However, the shop manual addresses it
clearly--there is a slot machined into the piston.   A screwdriver or suitable
lever needs to be inserted into this slot and the piston needs to be rotated
exactly 45 degrees to disengage the parking brake system, before the piston
can be compressed.   Once it's fully compressed, the piston needs to be
rotated back to its original orientation.

Asa Jay has fantastic photos of the exploded rear calipers here:

http://www.teampanteraracing.com/gallery2/v/asajay/pantera/brakes/rearbrakes
/

The process is explained in detail on page 12-11-01 of the shop manual,
complete with diagrams and photos.   Read and heed!

Also, what is left unmentioned is that the stock rear pads have a small tab
on the back side, which is designed to engage the slot in the piston and
keep it from rotating.   Some aftermarket pads are lacking this tab.
Porterfield will supply it, and should do so automatically, but sometimes they have
to be specifically reminded or else they will deliver them without them.
The Porterfield pad sets I've seen have included two pads with tabs, and
those are the ones that face the caliper pistons.

Good luck!

And if anybody cares to explain to me (type slowly and use small words)
EXACTLY how this whole ratcheting parking brake system works, I would be most
appreciative!   Thanks!