[DeTomaso] update on what I thought was failed ignition switch

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Wed Nov 15 00:07:01 EST 2017

>From my car repair history entry:

PROBLEM discoveredto be not the switch but the connection at the black connector / junctionthing.  The thinner of the two blackwires, the one that attaches at the upper rear location when the switch is insitu, was frayed and corroded on the switch side.  (I had removed the wires at the car endbefore, so it was not something I did.)  This black wire is the second from the left in the junction box and if I recall correctly connects to the red and orange wires on the car side.  I cut off the corroded area, soldered the clean strands together, andinserted it into the junction thing.  Noweverything is fine.  Sxs were that whilecar had to be flatbedded home, after I had lowered the steering column the carwas getting power again.   But when thewires were moved it would cut out.  Ileft 8x35mm bolts used to lower the column in the forward mounting point andmoved the short 8mm bolts that were there to the rearward point, replacing the6mm Allen head screws.  That way if I’mstranded again I’ll be able to drop it again without needing an Allen socket.

That was probably the problem which caused the first failure too, but this way the switch itself is now clean inside.

Jim