[DeTomaso] NPC (sort of) Tig Welder Recommendations

burrid1 at netzero.net burrid1 at netzero.net
Wed Nov 1 18:37:36 EDT 2017

I would recommend contacting the engineers at Miller, Lincoln, and any others that you may consider, and let them tell you the merits of their equipment. You'll see them at SEMA and often you can get a better price at the show. Think of extremes where you may be able to use the machine and discuss them with the engineers. Most welders buy the equipment that they are most familiar (trained on). Amperage required varies with material, gasses, machine efficiency and a number of lesser factors. Also most beginning welders (especially without formal training) never think of vertical, overhead or pipe welding. Welding items on location such as roll cages, and brackets require all position flexibility. I personally have owned a Miller Syncrowave 300 with Pulse control since the late 70's. I have Argon, Carbon Dioxide, and Helium as shielding gasses and control the percentages through individual flow control valves and mixing chambers. I also have Oxygen available if needed but it's normally with the Oxy-Acetylene set. I normally prefer and use a water cooled torch, but sometimes require a flexible or other type of torch (last count I had 5). Background: Many years ago was a qualified welder, (welded items for 930 Porsche team , and large Diesels) late 70's to mid 80's), also Welding Superintendent at Naval Shipyard mid to late 90's. My personal endorsement would be Miller (it's 90% of what we depended on in the shipyard at the time), but buy what makes you feel most comfortable, and good luck.