[DeTomaso] Rims

Stephen steve at snclocks.com
Mon May 29 12:24:07 EDT 2017

A couple of days ago I asked for input on trunk inserts, and, as always,
this forum promptly told me what I needed to know.  I had spotted a trunk
insert, listed as being in “excellent” condition on Craigslist and was
figuring out if I could just drive over, install it in 5332, and get it
home.  Needless to say, the insert was not in excellent condition, and had
in fact been “recarpeted” with ¼ inch carpet.  It is also much lighter than
the one that came with 5332, making me think it did, in fact, come off of a
’72.  But, given it was only $75, and they threw in a NOS black shift plate
and a couple of levers that they were sure fit a Pantera, heck, worth
getting, and putting on the ceiling until someone needs it.

So, any idea what these levers go to – they look like perhaps external door
handles?

Turns out that, including the above goodies (plus a Honda radio/glove box
insert they were just positive fit a Pantera) they also mentioned they had
rims to get rid of.  Turns out the guy “blew up” the engine in their ’72 and
promptly sold it to a dealer with the 17 inch rims that were on the car.  He
ended up with two 7 inch and two 10 inch rims (see attached photo’s).  Which
had been in his attic for 15 years.

>From what I can tell, looking at the photos provided by M Short some time
ago, the 10 inch is a later L-model rim.  Did they ever come with the black
Campy script as shown on the attached pictures?  Both the 7 and the 10 inch
rims had the decals.  The 7 inch rims have softer edges to the raised
sections than the 10 inch rims.  My guess is that all of the rims have been
powder-coated in the past, and that someone mated a pair of 7’s to a pair of
10’s – in as much as I thought I understood that cars that had 10 inch rims
on the back typically had 8 inch rims on the front.  But the 7 inch rims
look like they might be later L-model rims, based on the webbing towards the
center of the rim.

Anyone with more knowledge of the arcane trivia of Pantera Rims care to
comment on what it is I bought?

NTL, in a previous Craigslist find, I ended up with two 8-inch rims that
appear to be in excellent condition.  So, end of the day I have 8’s and 10’s
that will be going on 5332.

Stephen Nelson

 <http://www.snclocks.com/> SNClocks.com

Click here to join one of our mailing lists
<http://fs19.formsite.com/kagforms/form675003155/index.html> Contact Lists

Click here for our new
<http://www.snclocks.com/TheRestofourWorld/Hammered-Dulcimers/About-Steves-D
ulcimers/19824807_4sHGgj#1558377542_LKmkrT7> Hammered Dulcimers galleries

Click here for  <http://www.onaginggracefully.com/> my new blog on finding
happiness in retirement