[DeTomaso] SS ZF linkage turnbuckle???

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Tue May 23 19:26:15 EDT 2017

Steve wrote:

Larry,

They would only have a left-right if the shafts you're connecting are in line with each other, which there weren't.
===========================

I have no classes in physics or mechanical engineering showing on any of my transcripts, so my ability to properly analyze and then describe such matters is, I must admit,
challenged at best.

From Steve’s reply, I infer he is pointing out my “left-right” descriptive term was lacking, incomplete, or wrong.  Perhaps if I had included ‘swivel', or ‘articulated', or
some other term, Steve would have penned a kinder ‘review' of my post?

I’m not sure if he was trying to state the forces on u-joints used in a steering column and the ZF shift linkage (to include the push me-pull me forces) are in fact the same, and thus his successful experience with a steering column application should be thus expected to transfer to a successful shift linkage application, or if he is just pointing out my error in using the “left-right” terminology.

Sadly, no clarifying explanation was delivered along with the critique.

I still fail to see how a steering column u-joint’s actions (however they are properly described), where both ends of the shaft are in permanently stable positions, even begins to see the same push me-pull me forces seen by the solid (no slip joints) ZF shift rod in its forward and rearward movements during gear changes.

Slip-joint steering columns. Solid shift linkage.

Apples. Oranges.

My 2¢

Larry - educational critiques wholeheartedly solicited  ;-)