[DeTomaso] Replacing Clutch Return Spring

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue May 23 16:55:25 EDT 2017

As was mentioned, our return spring under the dash was broken on receipt of the car in March of 1980. I've never bothered to replace it because the replacement is identical to what broke- hence it will likely break, too. And I believe the dash needs to come out for access.  Note- there's another 'return spring' inside the stock clutch slave cylinder (for the piston) and that spring sometimes breaks, too. From water in the clutch fluid rusting it through. That one I suggest replacing since otherwise, the piston can stick at the bottom of its travel. Good luck- J Deryke

Many years ago mine broke and I called Gary Hall (RIP) to order a replacement. He said I will be glad to sell you one but it is a totally unnecessary part.

I never replaced it. The pedal returns to the same position as it did before the spring broke. And no other issues.

Sent from my iPhone

   use the links above.