[DeTomaso] SS ZF linkage turnbuckle???

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Tue May 23 16:08:19 EDT 2017

Steve wrote:

I converted my 1968 Mustang to a Flamming River manual rack and pinion which used the Flamming River u-joints. Over many years never had a problem with them loosening.

This is good to know.

But I believe the FR u-joints see ONLY left-right rotation when used in a steering column. I believe the forces at work are much different with the push me-pull me function
those u-joints perform in the ZF shift linkage.

The FR instructions in my previous post are essentially hidden in their website, and not included on their packaging.

And as we all have come to know, vendor advice is often best taken with a grain of salt. Sometimes with a fifty pound livestock block of it.

Left to assume ‘correct’ installation procedure, it seems some owners have seen undesirable loosening.

IMHO, loosening experiences where the installation fell short of the not-vendor-shared, obscure hard-to-find FR instructions should not be taken as proof the FR u-joints are not up to the task Pantera shift linkage asks of them.

I am still wondering if anyone that has followed the process of indent pocket drilling, red Loc-tite on set screw torqued to 25 foot pounds, and secured with a jam nut has nonetheless experienced loosening?

Larry