[DeTomaso] SS ZF linkage turnbuckle???

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Mon May 22 14:32:54 EDT 2017

Chuck,

The flaming river units I have came with exceptionally long set screws and a stout hex jam nut.

FR installation procedure advises drilling set screw indents on the shaft, using red Loctite, and then using the jam nut.

They close those installation tips with the advice to inspect "frequently to ensure tightness".

Did your initial loosening episode involve an installation using just the setscrew, or did your initial installation utilize the set screw, red Loctite and jam nut, yet still exhibit the loosening flaw?

Your shared the initial installation omitted the drilled indents. What was your initial procedure in regards to the Loctite and jam night?

In short, please detail the steps incorporated (or not incorporated) with your initial, and subsequent, installation that resulted in the loosening.

Yes, I realize reading and actually following installation instructions is not something we all do on a regular basis, however,  I have learned such blind obedience to others is sometimes warranted.

Curious if other owners who have installed the flaming river u-joints, and followed all the installation tips, nonetheless have seen chronic loosening of their u-joints?

Larry