[DeTomaso] SS ZF linkage turnbuckle???

bill at incendium.com bill at incendium.com
Mon May 22 08:40:12 EDT 2017

Also check and make sure the trunion bearing is secured properly.

CheersBill MooreCalgary
-------- Original message --------From: cengles at cox.net Date: 2017-05-22  6:26 AM  (GMT-07:00) To: fresnofinches at aol.com Cc: detomaso at server.detomasolist.com Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] SS ZF linkage turnbuckle???
Dear Larry,

               FWIW, the following is my experience with the Flaming
River lovely stainless steel shift linkage U-joints.

               The good news is that they are lovely and the put the
industrial stock units to shame in the areas of esthetics and mobility.
(Ever taken off a stock unit and tried to move it?  It is not very
easily moved...).

               The bad news:  The vendor told me to simply swap them
out.  I did that and found that I could not tell any difference in the
ease or smoothness of shifting.  They may be very mobile, but I could
not detect any definite benefit in the actual business of shifting
gears.   Then after I drove it 500 miles to the Houston Rally, then the
shift to reverse became crunchy.  When I returned home, I discovered
that the set screws that were tight when I left, were no longer tight.
The looseness preciptated the shifting problem.

               So I retightened them and the problem recurred with the
inability to use reverse, second and fourth gears.   After I calmed
down, I removed the whole set.  I replaced the stock unit just behind
the shifter.  I then drilled dimples in the shafts threaded ends for the
set screw to rest.  The subsequent road testing has shown that it is
better, i.e. there is less loosening , but it is not as reliable nor
maintenance free as the old industrial units.

               If you are going with the flaming river units, then I
would suggest that you consider serious fixation of the cursed set
screws.

                       Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles