[DeTomaso] 2290 - 1971 Pantera from Douglas Blain

Isobel Punt isobelpunt at hotmail.com
Mon May 22 07:15:04 EDT 2017

Re 2290, the low mileage, last-but-one 1971 pre-L Pantera we acquired in 2015 ex USA.  Tim Jackson-Stops and I are just back from a shakedown run in northern Spain following work done during the UK winter to correct a few shortcomings.

The most important jobs were:

  1.  Installing the missing grille over the engine compartment.  You guys were very helpful in providing photographs and explaining construction, including the type of mesh needed.  It looks great and does, in fact, keep the engine a bit drier and cleaner than before.  Thanks to all those concerned.
  2.  Fitting auxiliary lights behind the front grille.  On European and UK roads it is customary and often desirable to give oncoming drivers a quick flash to warn of an obstruction or just say hello.  The retractable headlights on the Pantera emerge too slowly for this to be practicable.  The lights we have fitted are powerful little LEDs which are tucked in under the front bumpers, behind the grille mask, more or less out of sight.  Useful in poorly lit car parks and short tunnels, too.
  3.  Relocating the emergency spare from the rear luggage tray to the front compartment, where it frees up useful space, is securely located and makes a significant difference to weight distribution.  To achieve a neat installation it was necessary to modify the floor of the front locker slightly (maybe our spare is a bit fatter than they were originally?).  At the same time we were able to organise neat, secure stowage for the jack, tools and air bottle, leaving the rear tray free for luggage only.  It took all we needed for three days and nights on the road plus one of each on the ferry, there and back.

Route. The location we chose for the workout was the Picos de Europa, a high (8,000ft) and precipitous mountain range just to the south of Santander, a ferry port on the north coast.  Roads are narrow up there, steep, full of tricky switchbacks and hairpins but well surfaced and almost entirely free of traffic (apart from the odd sheep) at least in the spring.  Aside from an occasional grunt of protest from the drivetrain (yes, we'll be looking at those universals) the car performed magnificently, with its compact dimensions, well chosen gear ratios, fade free brakes, abundant torque and sensitive steering.

Fuel consumption worked out at almost exactly 20 miles per UK gallon, driving hard.  Having been out testing in the hills south of Modena with Ing Bertocchi back in the day, I know this is what these great but still under-appreciated sports cars were designed to be good at.

Douglas Blain.