[DeTomaso] 10-inch wheels

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 23:25:03 EDT 2017

In a message dated 3/26/17 11 44 18, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> That is a great question; Mike Drew is an authority on the various
> designs of Campi wheels that were produced through the years, he had put all that
> down on paper in a neat article , I believe it was in one of the PCNC
> newsletters. It was surprising how many variants of wheels were produced and
> how many owners appeared to have mismatched sets when he started inspecting
> more closely. The Euro GTS differed in many aspect to the US GTS and I seem
> to recall reading not all the GTS's came with the 10" rear wheels?
>
>>>Very true.

There were six different 7- and 8-inch wheels used from 1971-1974; the
oddball variants are the three-slot (rare as hen's teeth--I've only ever seen
two of them) and one-slot (only used on the very first cars).   That leaves
four different two-slot variants.

There were at least three different versions of the 10-inch wheels; in
character, the long-rib style matched the one-slot wheels (except they had two
slots) while the later ones matched the 1973 L and 1974 L wheels,
respectively.

> >Physically you can move the 8's to the front, however I suspect the
> answer to whether they match the 10's available wholly depends what variant of
> wheels you currently have and whether the 'slots' match the pattern of the
> 10" wheels that are on offer.
>
>>>Very true.   The factory made no effort to match the front and rear
wheel styles; the first GTS cars that wore 10-inch wheels had Pre-L front
wheels, which didn't match the rears, but nobody except a guy like me would
notice. :>)

The Euro GTS came standard with 7- and 8-inch wheels; the 10-inch wheels
were a high-cost option.   When they were chosen, the normal practice was to
install   8-inch wheels on the front.