[DeTomaso] Techno Question: The Fuel Vapor control system

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Fri Mar 24 14:23:59 EDT 2017

Most shops say 10 years is about the lifespan for an OEM charcoal cannister. The Pantera is 40+ yrs old and the Mangusta, nearly 50. I suppose one could solvent-wash an old one to maybe get rid of oil & gas-varnish, then heat the cleaned can in an oven you never want to use for food, to 'activate' the charcoal again. Much less messy is finding a much later model cannister from a low mileage junker at Pick 'n Pull that's the right size to fit your bracket. Personally, I run the breather hose straight into the bottom of my air cleaner, eliminating the charcoal cannister and 10 ft of rubber hose.