[DeTomaso] simple 17" tire question?

Cullen McCann cmccann1972 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 10:09:36 EDT 2017

Guys,

This question is probably so simple, I hesitate to ask it, but here goes
anyway.

We all know a stock bodied Pantera CAN fit a 335/35-17.

It appears to me that the widest street tire made by anyone in a 17 inch
rim is 335.

What do the Group 4 and 5 guys do to fill out their wheel wells if they
want to run 17" rims and not have several inches of gap between face of
tire and edge of flare?

I'm hoping there is a wider tire out there that I'm not seeing rather
than just an offset that simply pushes the tire more outboard, giving space
back inboard. I know about the science of ideal handling width for front
and rear, rotating mass etc.

(I am NOT building a group 4 car, but another tire study lead me to this
question)

Thank you!

Cullen