[DeTomaso] Techno Question: The Fuel Vapor control system

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Wed Mar 22 20:24:33 EDT 2017

Dear Forum,

                       This is really odd and quite trivial, but here goes.
While the engine is out, I have been tidying up the engine bay.  For some
reason, I noticed that the hose that connects the gas tank vent to the
factory charcoal canister is braided stainless steel.    It seems to be the
*only* stock factory braided steel hose in the entire engine bay.

                    First dumb techno question:  Does anybody know why that
seemingly lowly hose was worthy of the stainless steel braided hose
treatment???....to vent simple gas tank vapor??

                      For the first time I pulled the factory Ford Charcoal
Canister from its stock location.   I suppose that the charcoal is kaput.  I
inspected the canister.  It looks like it *could* be opened with the proper
tool.   I assume that if one could open it then it might be possible to dump
in another dose of activated charcoal for another four decades.

                 Second dumb techno questions regarding the Pantera charcoal
canister:    for those that worship at the stock original altar, does anyone
maintain their charcoal canisters?.....or are they inoperative stock
adornments of the stock original engine bay?

For those that have modified their Pantera and worship at the laissez-faire
altar, do you completely remove it?   ..add a modern replacement??

                       Yes, I know it is pretty arcane.

                                                 Curious,  Chuck Engles