[DeTomaso] Tire Size

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Tue Mar 21 00:14:07 EDT 2017

Jut to add to Steve's thoughts,

For what it's worth, I ran Proxes R888 on the 7" and 8" stock magnesium
wheels for a couple of years.  In my opinion they looked goofy on the
rear (and really threw off the speedometer).  The front's look okay but
the rears are too small.  They are great tires, but their profile is way
too low, with an overall diameter drastically reduced from stock in the
rear and they just don't fill the wheel well.  Kinda makes the car look
like a roller skate, or skateboard (take your pick).

You can see a few photos here:
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/423331_377181778968263_322679426_n.jpg?oh=8dcfebf6524f2c37d6d9d70f973c73dc&oe=5960EAC4

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/198541_204249359594840_3542880_n.jpg?oh=8e713466d93cd6342f107017001956fb&oe=5969A5D5

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/185554_247942678558841_4972272_n.jpg?oh=cd199de55adf9bd083b85e3ceb897c0c&oe=59601447

If you just need street tires, I think there are other options that
would look a lot better, but they won't be rated for high speeds in
excess of 140 MPH or so.

For racing in the Silver State, I bought 17 and 18" wheels and then put
good z-rated rubber on that met the same stock diameter.  You can see a
photo of that here:
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/241317_477871052232668_835863716_o.jpg?oh=f5e28c609b51fd51c0989635e992bfa2&oe=5973C046

If you like the Campy's (and who wouldn't), I would encourage you to
invest in a set of vendor supplied Campy clones in a larger diameter,
probably 17 and 18.  If I had the money, I would go for a set from
Marino Perna of Pantera East.

Just my two cents,
Asa

Asa Jay Laughton - W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
&  Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA
http://w7tsc.org
http://www.teampanteraracing.com