[DeTomaso] Can door and trunk locks be re-keyed, anyone successful with the ignition without removing the lock from the housing??

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Mon Mar 13 02:55:04 EDT 2017

Ken,

I’ve removed several ignition locks from their housings. Drill the hole, depress the black spring steel piece, and barrel assembly can be removed. No downside to it in my experience. Replace/rebuild the lock barrel and then it simply snaps back into place in the housing.  I do not believe the access hole can be drilled with the lock still installed on the column.

As for rekeying the door/trunk locks, yes it can be done. Several years ago I had a trunk lock rekeyed by a local, old-timer locksmith. He had difficulty in getting access to the pins and springs - the cover plate is crimped into place and required some time and effort to figure out how to safely remove without ruining the whole shebang. Once opened, he told me he found the smallest lock springs he had ever seen. Despite Julian’s optimism, I highly doubt he could have sourced replacement pins or springs for the lock; luckily I had spare pins that allowed him to match that trunk lock barrel to a matched pair of door lock barrels. I sold the set to a member of this list.

Since that rekeying, I have invested hours of research and bench time with a collection of Pantera door/trunk locks I have gathered over the years. The door lock barrels are fairly easy to remove once you have the door handles out of the door; the trunk lock barrel is retained in its housing by a blind-hole pin that requires some delicate Dremel drilling and subsequent prying to remove that pin. The door and trunk lock barrels use the same pins and springs, but the lock barrels are different for the two applications.

While the lock barrels have six pin cuts, there are only three different lengths of pins that are mixed and matched to create the different key patterns.

BTW, there are two styles of lock/trunk keys and thus two versions of barrels, but the barrel internals are the same for both styles.

While I have yet to do a proof-of-concept, I am quite confident I can now re-pin any of the three lock barrels as required. Thanks to my locksmith’s assistance, he tracked down the info on what cut to make for each of the three pins, he should be able to cut fresh, new keys matched to whatever 6-pin combination I provide to him.

I’ve included a couple of photos.

One showing the minuscule spring. The other showing a door lock barrel, the crimped-in-place pins/springs cover and two pins.

Anyone wanting to be my first guinea pig for re-keying their locks should contact me off list.

Larry