[DeTomaso] Hard Start Issue - The Final Solution

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sun Mar 5 15:27:40 EST 2017

Some months ago I posted a help needed for a hard start issue I was having
with 6328.  I was usually when it was hot, but not always.

I had a number of helpful suggestions, many of which leaned towards it being
a timing issue.  That was the route I went down to try to solve the problem,
but it never quite did the job: I either solved the hard start but had a lot
of pinging, or no ping and hard start.

It was not until Doug Braun helped my dive into my MSD 8350 R2R that we
found the problem - the mechanism that allows the mechanical advance had
seized up, and would not allow proper advance as timing increased.  So, to
get rid of the ping, I was trying to start the car at 32 degrees BTDC - no
wonder it didn't like doing that when it was hot.

Doug completely disassembled the dizzy, we used 000 steel wool to clean up
the shaft and lubed it with silicon lube, reassembled with double roll pins,
and it's now back in the car.  The tune to set the timing, once I realized
the #5 and 6 plug wires were switched (DOH!) went very smoothly.

Just got done from the first test drive and she's running better than she
has in years, and three hot starts all on one flick of the key.  According
to Doug, who has also used the MSD distributor, it ought to be rebuilt about
once every five years so make sure the mechanical advance is working
properly and the shaft is turning freely in the dizzy to allow the advance.

Have a great weekend!
Mike Thomas
Pres., Panteras Northwest
Yellow '74 #6328