[DeTomaso] Detomaso SOHC heads?

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 16:53:10 EST 2017

Anyone know the story on this engine (see attached photo)?   Detomaso belt
driven SOHC heads on a 351C block with dual plane intake manifold.  Heads
and belt drive arrangement are very similar to the Ford 289 SOHC
experimental engine but the intake (a raw casting) and the valve covers are
unique.  Were these heads developed independently or in conjunction with
Ford?  I know Detomaso had Weslake produce some pushrod heads that were
very similar to the Gurney Weslake 2 valve pushrod heads.  Were the SOHC
heads developed for the Detomaso Sports 5000 (a.k.a. P70) or some other
racer?

Thanks,
Dan Jones