[DeTomaso] Tapered ring compressor

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 20:31:34 EDT 2017

Hi Guys,

I am slowly putting together a 427FE engine for my Cobra.  I¹m taking my
time because the 428 that¹s currently in the Cobra is running great.

At any rate, my ring compressor was giving me fits.  I have a fairly nice,
old school, ring compressor that consists of several bands and a pair of
special pliers that compress the bands.  The pliers have a catch.  You
squeeze it, pop the piston in place, and then release the catch.  Pretty
simple.  Only it doesn¹t actually work that well.

So, I bought one of those tapered ring compressors.  Holy crap this is easy.
The piston slides in so smoothly, you don¹t even have to tap it with a piece
of wood (bottom of a hammer).  You can just push the piston in the hole.

Never, ever use any other tool to install pistons.  You have to buy one for
each bore size, but how many bore sizes do we really use anyway?

I¹m also using really thin, standard tension rings.  If I recall correctly,
they¹re only 1mm.  I¹ll check tomorrow.

Btw, it¹s actually going to be a 482.  I had to buy a crankshaft, so I
bought new.  It¹s cheaper to buy a stroker crank than it is to buy an
original stroke.  An original stroke crank is also special order.  Plus, the
CR math works out that a flat top gives me 10-1 compression as a 482.  If I
stayed with a 427, I would have to use pop-ups.

I¹m still working on the Pantera.  I just thought you¹d appreciate this
public service announcement.  Jack ­ you should do an article on these.

Will.