[DeTomaso] Gas tank shield question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 28 22:51:02 EDT 2017

In a message dated 6/28/17 9 34 2, owen at tadhgcooke.com writes:

My only concern is that my fuel tank is not in great condition and the
exhausts headers run very close to this with only the short firewall
between

i have out in   a racing fixed extinguisher with several jets on it but i
am still nervous

what is best solution to take exhaust pipes further away from tank , or
am i being too cautious ??

>>>Assuming you have all the necessary components in place, you are likely
being too cautious.   Having said that, there are steps you can take to
mitigate any potential danger.

The stock system consists of a riveted-on heat sheetmetal heat shield that
is faced with asbestos on the gas tank side.   Pantera shops sell polished
stainless steel covers for this shield which slip over the top, and add a
measure of reflectivity not to mention loads of 'bling'.

The fellow who restored my car was unaware that this was supposed to be a
cover, and he accidently discarded the stock shield, leaving only the cover
to do the job.   I wasn't comfortable with this, so I bought some light
aircraft engine bay insulation from Aircraft Spruce.   This is fireproof,
reflects heat, and dampens vibration--all good things.   I stuck it to the gas tank
side of my shield and all has been well since.

The factory low-performance exhaust manifolds clear the heat shield by a
fair margin, while the Euro GTS ANSA headers often literally touch it, and
aftermarket headers are somewhere in between.   The tank can be shifted
outboard, and the heat shield can follow suit by simply drilling out the three
rivets which secure it to the chassis rail, moving it over and drilling new
holes and riveting it again.

>i really enjoy this car   having only had Italian engine exotics before
now

>>>It really is a different world, hopping in an Italian exotic, turning
the key and hearing/feeling the thunder of a big American V-8!