[DeTomaso] Fuel tank close to header

marshall smith marshallgsmith at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 28 16:43:57 EDT 2017

In regards to elements being hard on rubber parts:

We have a local carburetor re-builder in San Diego that literally builds every desert, river and race toys in the county. His name is Rick Walker and he's renown for taking your engine specs and your carb (many times new in the box) and nailing the combo on the first try.

He spoke at one of our club meetings probably 20 years ago. The thing he suggested to us which most have followed to this day is to add Marvel Mystery Oil to your gas every time you fill up. The oil 'softens' this terribly harsh gasoline that we are now forced to use and conditions the gas to be much easier on all your rubber parts and even some metallic pieces. It probably gives you a bit of upper cylinder lubrication also. I've used it ever since.

He suggested two ounces per five gallons every fill-up. He also suggested NOT using it on cars with catalytic converters but I used it on my Lexus for 10 years with no damage to the cat. It has 195,000 miles and runs like new.

Btw....I changed the spark plugs (for the first time) on the Lexus at 150,000 miles and I will swear to you, I mixed up the new plugs sitting ready on the air cleaner with the old plugs that I had just removed and I could not tell the difference between the two. That's probably testament to being a Lexus and not using Marvel Mystery but I'm not stopping it's use.

Marshall