[DeTomaso] Fuel tank close to header

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Wed Jun 28 15:07:02 EDT 2017

Owen wrote:

...My only concern is that my fuel tank is not in great condition and the exhausts headers run very close...

=========================

As the close proximity between the fuel tank and the exhaust headers is seldom if ever seen anywhere but in a Pantera, this is a very good newbie question.

However, in the real world I am unaware of this proximity being directly responsible for initiating any fires.

The stock aluminum shield for the fuel tank has an inner asbestos core.

Many owners do ceramic coat the exhaust headers and this will provide a much cooler to the touch header pipe.

So you can relax as far as the fuel tank and the headers.

However there is one area related to the fuel system that you should be concerned with.

Periodically inspect your fuel lines to confirm they are still in good condition, all clamps are tight, and hose routing has been safely done and properly supported.

And if you have a fuel filter installed (you should), do not ever use the small chrome unit that has the clear glass tube. Glass is not a proper container for gasoline.  :-(

Due to the heat of the engine compartment many owners replace rubber fuel lines every few years.

Larry