[DeTomaso] Review--1974 Pantera L for sale

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jun 25 16:39:09 EDT 2017

All,

Yesterday I was afforded the opportunity to fully evaluate a late 1974
Pantera L that is currently for sale at Fantasy Junction, the well-known
purveyor of fine motor cars, in Emeryville, CA (just across the Bay Bridge from San
Francisco).   Here is a link to the description of the car with many, many
photos:

http://fantasyjunction.com/cars/1982-DeTomaso%20-Pantera%20L-351%20c.i.%20Cl
eveland%20V-8

I have passing familiarity with this car, as I worked on it briefly (and
when I say 'worked on it', what I mean is that I changed the light bulbs in
the speedometer and tachometer, and that's all) and got the opportunity to
drive it two or three years ago.   At that time, the original headliner was
flapping down, and it had carburetor issues, but it seemed to be a
fundamentally good car.   I gave the owner a list of 'to do' items and promised to come
look at it again in more detail once he had finished the repairs, but we
never managed to get together again.

The owner at the time was named Ken Painter.   The car had belonged to his
father, and clearly he had been passionate about it.   Ken inherited it, and
confessed to having only a passing interest in it.   He attended a few club
events, but clearly his heart wasn't in it, and he said he planned to sell
it.

He attempted to market it locally through an ad in the Pantera Club of
Northern California newsletter, but most of the members of the club already have
Panteras, so although he got a few nibbles, he got no bites.   He
eventually sold it through Fantasy Junction to a speculative buyer.   That fellow now
technically owns the car, but he has decided to sell it so Fantasy Junction
is marketing it for him.

The car was originally painted the horrid Army Tank Green color found on
(thankfully few) L-model Panteras, but at some point in its life, it was
repainted a nice shade of silver, and at that time the chrome trim was all
blacked out.   It spent its early years in Florida, which is automatically
worrisome due to the high humidity and potential for rust, but its latter life was
spent in California, where it was used very sparingly.

It recently was the subject of an obscenely overpriced engine overhaul, and
the new motor is just barely broken in, with a thousand miles or so on it.

Upon arriving at Fantasy Junction, I found the car parked on their
four-post lift, which affords an excellent opportunity to inspect the underside.   I
immediately zoomed in to the rear portion of the chassis, where rust can
take hold and be extremely expensive and labor-intensive to repair.   Repeated
whacks with a hammer and pointed punch revealed that structurally, the car
is absolutely rock-solid.   Despite the fact that owner-added drain holes
(so necessary in these cars) were never created, nevertheless the chassis is
quite stout.

The suspension has been fitted with top-of-the-line adjustable Koni
coil-over shocks and Hypercoil springs.   The extensive corrosion on the ride
height adjustment collars indicates that they are very old, and changing their
settings would require a lot of work to free up the adjusters.   Having said
that, these are a 'set and forget' component, and there would be no reason
(other than cosmetics) to deal with them.   (On my test drive, they worked
exceptionally well, delivering a firm but comfortable ride).

The right-side upright has been fitted with grease fittings for the lower
shaft, while the left-side doesn't have them.

The car has a stock-sized aftermarket rear chrome sway bar, but the chrome
is pitted with surface rust.   The sway bar bushings appear to be original,
and are largely perished.   The single best improvement one can make to a
Pantera, on a dollar-for-dollar basis, is to upgrade from the stock 3/4 inch
rear sway bar to the Euro GTS-specification 7/8 inch bar.   Given that this
car's existing components are both in a somewhat tired state, this is a $200
investment I would make right away (although it's not strictly 'necessary').

The engine appears to be completely tight and absent of any leaks (as it
should be considering it's new), while there is a tiny drop of oil leaking
from the transaxle drain plug.   I don't know how fresh the transaxle fluid is,
but I suspect it's been changed recently.   Perhaps a bit of tightening on
the plug would fix the leak; if not, removing it and wrapping with Teflon
tape should do the trick.   (At that time, a decision could be made to refill
with the existing oil if it's fresh, or replace it--it requires about 7
pints of GL-5 80w90 gearbox oil).

It has become customary to fit a “DETOMASO” logo plaque to the rear of the
chassis in between the inner sway bar mounts.   These cast aluminum plaques
were originally fitted to the valve covers on the 1971-72 Panteras and were
held in place with glue; after the first one fell off, usually owners put
the remaining one at the rear of the chassis, where it happens to fit
perfectly.   It also disguises damage to the lip on the back of the chassis rail
caused by incautious jacking.   This car has evidence that it had this plaque
at one time (in the form of a pair of screw holes), but the plaque has
disappeared, and the lip is a little bit wrinkled.   This is another trivial
cosmetic issue, easily resolved with hammer and dolly work, and the plaques are
readily available and not very expensive if one wanted to follow convention.

There is evidence of sloppy cosmetic work, as the cast aluminum gearbox
mounts are partially covered in black overspray, likely from a rattle-can
touch-up of the underside chassis.   A bit of time with a rag and laquer thinner
would go a long way there.

While looking up, I was surprised to see that the removable fiberglass
trunk was broken, with a big crack in it.   This is invisible from above, but
suggests it was subjected to carrying an extreme load at one point.
Fortunately this is extremely easy to fix, and it is completely invisible normally.

The clutch has been equipped with a braided stainless steel flex hose,
replacing the awful red plastic hose that came from the factory.   This is an
excellent (and I would say mandatory) upgrade.

I was surprised and pleased to find that the car had been equipped with
Wilwood four-piston brake calipers on all four corners.   The stock rear
calipers have been retained for their parking brake function only.   The Wilwood
calipers are their larger Superlite II model, but the car uses stock,
unvented rotors.   (Vented rotors are readily available and not overly expensive
should an owner decide to upgrade).   Naturally, the ancient rubber hoses have
been replaced with braided stainless steel/Teflon hoses as part of the
caliper upgrade.

As part of the system, the stock master cylinder has been replaced with a
Ford SVO aluminum unit with an adapter bracket from Pantera Performance
Center.   It has Wilwood 2psi residual pressure valves plumbed into the system,
which prevents the caliper pistons from migrating back into the calipers,
which could produce a 'long' brake pedal on the first application.   They still
sell this whole brake system as a complete kit.

Proceeding forward, I could see that the original water pipes are still
present, and have surface rust.   There is no indication of any water leak, but
if the cooling system is serviced (more on that in a moment) it makes sense
to replace them with new stainless steel pipes.   (I recently worked on a
similar low-mileage Pantera whose pipes were visually in the same shape; when
I removed them they crumbled in my hands at the ends where they mated with
the rubber hoses--although they weren't leaking either, a leak was not long
in coming).

The front valance is a little bit wavy at the bottom and has surface rust
on it, but is undented.   This is a structural location, and either ambient
water or water from a leaky radiator can cause this area to rust out, but the
one on this car seems to be in reasonable shape.

Proceeding to the exterior of the car, I noted that the silver paint
appeared to be of very high quality, but is starting to show its age.   There are
certain parts of the body where rust first materializes, which manifests
itself in bubbling in the paint.   This car has hand-sized areas of obvious
corrosion on several panels--the lower rear of the left-hand front fender, the
lower front of the left-hand quarter panel, the rocker panel immediately
beneath, and the lower front of the right-hand quarter panel.

This is what I would call 'typical' rust on these cars.   It doesn't appear
to be overly significant and is far from catastrophic.   Someday, somebody
will repaint this car, and when that happens, at a minimum these areas will
need to be cut out and new patches installed.   Too, it's likely that there
is internal rust to the bottom of the B-pillar posts and perhaps the middle
of the three rocker panels, so those would be attended to at the same time.
 But if I was to buy this car as a driver, I would comfortably drive it
as-is for many years to come, and chalk all that up to being a 'someday'
project.

The right-hand rocker panel has a dent at the rear, but it's easily
accessed from behind and could be straightened out very, very easily.

The left-hand headlight bucket stands slightly proud of the fender when
shut.   These are adjusted with various shims etc. and I have no doubt that it
could be fixed (what might have to happen is that the right-hand bucket
needs to be raised with shims slightly, then the whole mechanism lowered more so
they are both closed uniformly).

The car has been fitted with the highly desirable 10-inch rear wheels, and
the 8-inch wheels formerly living at the rear of the car have been moved to
the front.   The 10-inch wheels were always a very expensive aftermarket
option (I paid $900 each for mine in 1989), and now are easily worth $3500 or
more by themselves.   This is a huge selling point for this car, as they are
very difficult to find and very desirable.

I didn't note the age of the tires, but they at least have plenty of tread
left.   It has Yokohama 295/50 in the rear and Falken 225/50 in the front.

The front bumper has been described as 'serviceable' in the ad, and that's
a very fair characterization, in the sense that if you crashed into
something, it would do its job.   Cosmetically though, it is in pretty sad shape,
suffering from numerous scrapes and scuffs, waves, and a very pronounced split
on the driver's side.   It is possible to repair these bumpers, but enough
people have chosen to remove them and replace them either with aftermarket
fiberglass units (the fit of some of those leaves a lot to be desired), or
ginchy carbon-fiber, and NOS steel and rubber bumpers are still available
(although pricy).

The rear quarter windows are not installed, but are included with the car
in a big box of spare and leftover parts.   I would reinstall them right
away, although I know that many owners prefer to leave them out for the ease of
cleaning the back window.

The left doorhandle return spring is broken, although the doorhandle still
works perfectly well.   The latch simply remains proud after the door has
been opened, but it sits flush when it's closed.

The right-side door frame hits the trim at the top of the B-pillar and has
scraped the paint away.   (I forgot to check to see if the same is true on
the driver's side).

Oddly, the backup lights are stuck on; whenever the key is on, they are
illuminated no matter if the car is in reverse or not.   Frequently these
lights don't function at all; I would suspect that the problem lies with a faulty
or misadjusted backup light switch, likely easily resolved.

The car is equipped with a Hall Pantera Big Bore exhaust system.   While
the Hall headers are a good match for stock tailpipes/mufflers, giving a
noticeable horsepower improvement, the Hall tailpipes/mufflers are aesthetically
very questionable, and aurally they take away the signature Pantera 'sound'.
  Rather than sounding like an Italian exotic with a very muscular heart,
the Hall mufflers make the car sound like an old pickup truck or a speedboat.
  There is nothing inherently 'wrong' with them, as they are functioning as
designed (no cracks or leaks or other damage).   But if this was my car, at
a minimum I would source a good pair of stock tailpipes to return the
proper Pantera sound; in all likelihood I would just replace the whole system,
either with the ANSA European GTS setup, or (preferably) the system produced
by Panteras by Wilkinson, which delivers the cosmetic appearance of the
factory GTS exhaust, but produces considerably more horsepower (31 hp in a
back-to-back dyno test) at less cost.

The stock mirrors have been replaced with Vitaloni Baby Bravo mirrors,
attached to plates glued to the inside of the quarter glass.   During my test
drive, the passenger-side mirror gave an excellent view of the ground rather
than traffic to the rear; I confess I forgot to see if it could be adjusted
properly.

Considering that the engine was rebuilt 1000 miles ago at a cost of $18,000
(!!!!!), cosmetically it leaves more than a bit to be desired.   The valve
covers look scruffy, with the black paint peeling off.   The intake manifold
is stained, evidence of a prior fuel leak.   These items should have been
taken care of as part of the engine rebuild--a shameful oversight.
Fortunately it is easy to take care of it now--the valve covers and intake can be
removed, bead-blasted, and then the valve covers can be masked and painted.

The gearbox also looks a bit 'naff' as the English would say, and would
benefit from a good scrubbing.

The engine is fitted with an Edelbrock Performer 4V intake manifold (pretty
much the standard replacement for the stock cast-iron boat anchor), and a
cheap economy Holley carburetor.   When I drove the car a couple of years
ago, it had a good performance Holley carb that was in dire need of tuning and
fettling; instead the prior owner just replaced it with a carb of much lower
specification.   It is perfectly fine for cruising around, and will likely
deliver good fuel economy, but the side-pivot floats means that it will cut
out under very hard cornering.   I would likely be putting this one on
Craigslist and replacing it with the factory European GTS offering, the Holley
4777 650 double-pumper.

The stock air cleaner is installed, but is missing the plastic fresh air
induction snorkel system, which was fitted to the firewall and drew cool,
fresh air from beneath the passenger seat.   So the engine is instead inhaling
ambient air from directly above the exhaust headers on the passenger side.

I forgot to mention that the original decklid shocks are still installed
(upside down), and are doing a surprisingly good job of keeping the decklid
open.   Usually by this point, they would have collapsed and been replaced
with something more generic in appearance.

The stock spare tire is in the rear trunk, although the normally gloss
black wheel has been rattle-can painted with silver (which is failing).   This
late car has provisions for a hold-down (a reinforced hole in the bottom of
the spare tire well at the right rear corner of the trunk), and the factory
hold-down is inside the box of spare parts.   Given that the spare situation
was not well thought-out (if you get a flat tire and choose to fit the
inflatable spare, there is absolutely no place to put the flat tire and wheel,
and you're not going to just leave them on the side of the road, are you?), I
would probably detail the wheel to the Nth degree and sell it to a Boss
Mustang concours nut, as they pay a lot of money for these things.

The complete factory tool kit is included, and while the tools are junk and
factory jacks have been known to fail, people have paid upwards of $1500
for a complete tool kit, so it's a nice thing to have.

The decklid catch is sticky and remains stuck open, which could allow the
decklid to bounce around if it wasn't noticed.   There is a spring inside the
catch which is not capable of forcing the latch closed as it should; gentle
thumb pressure causes it to snap shut and then it functions properly
(securing the decklid).   This could be as simple as adjusting/lubricating it, or
perhaps the spring inside has broken and needs to be replaced.   An entirely
new latch can be purchased very inexpensively.

The weatherstripping on the body that seals to the decklid has failed, and
while it could perhaps be quietly glued together, it should probably be
replaced.

The single most significant item on any Pantera is its cooling system.
These cars got a bad rap when they were new for cooling system woes, but by
the 1974 model year, the cooling system was completely ironed out and they ran
perfectly.   But 1974 was a long time ago….

This car is still equipped with a completely original cooling
system--radiator, fans, pipes etc. are all original, and well past their prime.   I could
see no evidence of a leak, and hoped that the system was functioning as it
did in 1974.

I then hopped inside to check out the interior.   The first thing I noticed
were aftermarket speakers installed in holes cut in the doorpanels; both
speakers are missing their grilles and thus their guts are on display for all
to see (and damage).   An Alpine stereo is fitted, which I naturally didn't
bother to test.

Oddly, the left interior door handle has been 'clocked' incorrectly so it
sticks up proud; it is on a splined shaft and fixing it is as simple as
removing the three screws that hold the armrest to the door, then removing the
single screw that holds the doorhandle in place, reclocking it on the splined
shaft and reinstalling.

On first glance, the dashboard appears to be in unusually good condition.
However, it is all artifice, as the stock dashboard is weathered and
cracked, and has been equipped with a dashboard cap from Hall Pantera.   This cap
is remarkably well-done, following the contours of the stock dash while
being just that tiny bit larger.   During installation, all the gauges, vents,
switches etc. are removed from the stock dash, the cap is installed, and then
everything is put back in place.   The installation is good overall but is
dramatically let down by the holes for the two small warning lights to the
left of the main gauges.   The cap doesn't fit as well as one would hope
here, and those lights were left installed in the original dash, and big holes
were gouged in the dash cap so they are visible.   This looks terrible, so
random rubber plugs were inserted to hide them, which looks only slightly less
terrible.

The stock steering wheel was replaced with a Lecarra wheel, of an unusually
small size (likely 12 inches).   This provides more legroom for a taller
driver, but increases steering effort and compromises visibility of the main
gauges.   The stock steering wheel was 14 inches (Euro cars were 350mm, or
13.7 inches) so I would very quickly unbolt this too-small wheel and replace
it with a 14-inch Lecarra wheel.

The original window switches were okay when new, but didn't have the
longevity one would hope for, and its rare to find a car that still has them
installed and working.   This car has had them replaced with much higher quality
Bosch switches (the originals are included with the leftover parts), and
both windows work well.   The driver's window travel is a bit irregular, with a
tight spot about 3/4 of the way up, but that's not unusual, as adjusting
the windows on these cars is a bit of a black art.

When I first turned on the key, I heard the A/C clutch engage and the A/C
fan start up, so at least that appeared to be working.   I turned them off
and continued testing the electrics.

The generator light is very, very weak when the key is on and the car not
running.   Normally if a one-wire alternator is fitted, this light is
brightly lit all the time and needs to be unplugged.   I don't know what kind of
alternator the car has, nor can I explain why the bulb would glow dimly.

The headlights raised normally, but the left high beam is burned out.   The
turn signals all work (although I forgot to test the brake lights or
taillights).   The interior blower fan works, and the turn signal switch still
functions properly, although the lever has been bent forward so that it is not
in the correct location and is difficult to reach with your hands on the
wheel.   Some sympathetic bending would hopefully rectify that.

I forgot to test the horn, which is actuated by the turn signal switch.

The shift gate is in good condition, and the stock shift knob has been
replaced with an oversized knob from Hall Pantera.   (I prefer the original, and
hope that it is in good condition and included with the spare parts).

The stock seats have been recovered in the stock pattern, but the vinyl
center has been replaced with cloth, perhaps a nod to the realities of the
car's time spent in Florida.

The stock carpets are gone, replaced with generic black carpeting.   The
carpet on the driver's side has started to fail, and it's wrinkled and easily
tangles up the feet near the pedals.   At a minimum it needs to be glued
down, but some good floormats wouldn't go unnoticed (it has none).

A Hall Pantera center console was screwed atop the stock center console.
While the design is good, the execution leaves a bit to be desired.   The
plastic is very thin and cheap-feeling, and it squeaks something awful.   If
it is retained, efforts need to be made to insulate it to stop the squeaking.

The aforementioned stock headliner, which was blowing down when I drove the
car a few years ago, has been replaced with a non-original, non-matching
generic headliner--a great disappointment, as it would have been just as easy
to do it properly.   The installation seems good enough, but why not use the
original material since it is available if you know where to look?

The sunvisor on the driver's side doesn't stay up as well as one would
like.   This is down to a minor failure on the mount, which is easily rectified.
  The mounts are plastic with knurled steel pins pressed in the end; the
pins are supposed to be stationary while the sunvisor rotates around them.
In this case, the pins have come free and spin in the plastic housings.   All
that is necessary is to remove them and use a strong adhesive like Krazy
Glue to glue the pins in the housings, and all will be well.

The clutch pedal is very light (for a Pantera), expected on a later car
which came with a revised clutch linkage.   This car has been fitted with an
aluminum flywheel and modern clutch (likely a Centerforce, I'm guessing).
The brake pedal is very solid as well.   The car shifts smoothly through the
gears, although shift effort is rather high, indicating that lubrication of
the linkage is overdue.

Oh, and the dome light works.

It was finally time for a test drive.

The car started very easily, and the ammeter immediately indicated it was
charging the battery--good.   I could immediately smell exhaust, suggesting
that it is overly rich at idle.   The engine was very responsive blipping the
throttle--that's the aluminum flywheel at work.

The idle is very, very weird.   It has a 500 rpm hunt, back and forth
between 500 and 1000 rpm every two seconds.   It's almost as though the timing is
advancing and retarding--it's the only thing I can think of that would
produce this effect.   (Or a vacuum leak perhaps?)

The light flywheel coupled with the weird idle meant it was very difficult
to back up the car without stalling the engine.   The only technique that
seemed to work was to rev the engine to 2000 rpm and then slip the clutch,
which makes the driver appear as though he's never driven a stick shift before,
much less a Pantera.   It was embarrassing.   But if I tried to drive it
conventionally, the clutch 'bite' at 1000 rpm would then result in the engine
dying when it dropped to 500 rpm.   I suppose I could have learned to follow
the sine wave and dip the clutch in and out in time to the rpm increase and
decrease, but it was easier to just rev it and slip the clutch when
reversing, and more or less dump the clutch and stand on the gas when pulling away
from a stop (which, I confess, is fun to do anyway).

Within a short time of departing the dealership, I noted the water
temperature had already risen to an indicated 230 degrees, and it maintained about
220-230 while driving down the freeway.   I hoped it was an indication error,
because it would be worrisome if it was true.

The car feels very taut and solid when driving down the road, which is what
you would expect from a car whose mileage is so low, fitted with Koni
shocks.   The steering was fine, with no undue play or pulling to one side.   The
brakes are excellent (although the solid rotors mean they would likely
become overwhelmed if the car was subjected to extreme track duty), and the
engine pulls reasonable well…

…until 5000 rpm when it suddenly cuts out.   Repeated tests showed that at
exactly 5000 rpm indicated on the tach, the engine would stutter and
maintain exactly that rpm and no more, indicating some kind of rev limiter has been
installed and set unusually low.   Perhaps this was part of the break-in
process, and it was intended to be set higher afterwards.   I have no idea
what kind of ignition system is in the car (it was too late to crawl around and
check), so one hopes this is the explanation.

As long as I remained below 5000 rpm, and above idle, the engine ran great.
  It isn't especially powerful, although it has considerably more power
than a stock 1974 Pantera (if I'm honest, a stock 1974 Pantera is a bit of a
dog thanks to its low compression and smog gear).   I wish I knew what the
previous owner got for his $18,000 engine rebuild.   Is the engine still fitted
with the 1974 low-compression cylinder heads?   There's no way of telling
from the outside.

Suffice it to say that it runs well and delivers exhilarating performance,
but it is in desperate need of tuning and fettling.

Back at the shop, I let the car sit and idle while I ran around with a
floor jack.   I'm pleased to report that both rear wheel bearing/axle setups
were in fine shape, and the steering rack had no discernable play (stock
steering racks have a bushing that wears out in about 40K miles, so this one has a
ways to go yet).

I became alarmed when I noticed the temperature gauge getting very close to
260 degrees, in the red zone, and one radiator fan hadn't turned on yet.
Either the gauge was lying or there were serious problems here.   I used a
hand-held laser temp gun and shot the back side of the radiator, which
indicated 250 degrees on the side with the non-working fan.

Yikes!

I quickly shut the car down, and was surprised to find that it shut off
cleanly, showing no signs whatsoever of overheating (no spitting of coolant or
steam, or gurgling from the pressure tanks).   So while the radiator/fan
setup is clearly not working properly, it seems the system was well purged of
air and the tanks and radiator cap are both good.

Afterwards I went into the storeroom and looked at four boxes that come
with the car; one had a bunch of parts, either old parts that had been taken
off the car and retained (such as the window switches), or items that were
purchased but never fitted (like a “GTS” rear badge, wheel emblems and shift
knob--evidently somebody considered making this car a GTS clone at some
point).

Very significantly, the windshield wipers and arms were in this box too.
The 1974 cars used different wipers which parked on the driver's side
(halfway up the windscreen, very annoying), and most people remove them and store
them in the trunk.   These arms are completely impossible to find, and if a
car is purchased with them absent, there is pretty much no way to render the
wipers functional.   So the fact these are here is very good news indeed.

Other boxes contained the factory service and part manuals, and a
collection of club newsletters and magazines stretching back many years.   The last
box just had generic car-care items, including a small tool kit, wax, rags
etc.

So what to make of this car then?   Basically, it is being marketed not as
a perfect concours car or an original survivor, but instead as a good, solid
driver, which is an accurate assessment, apart from the various mechanical
niggles that keep the car from just being a turn-key proposition as it
stands.

Strengths:

Very solid chassis absent of structural rust
Good silver paint (all the flaws are below the beltline in the black
painted areas, making them harder to see)
10-inch rear wheels
Freshly rebuilt engine (in need of tuning and perhaps a better carb)
stronger than stock
Koni shocks deliver a terrific ride
Great Wilwood brakes
Decent-looking interior overall
No chassis squeaks/groans etc. (just some noise from the plastic center
console)
Low mileage
All factory manuals and many newsletters/magazines included
Full toolkit with jack (expensive!)
Electrical items all appear to be working fine
Nice, light clutch

Weaknesses:

Flaws in the paint clearly indicating panel rust, with potential for minor
structural rust underneath
Small dent in rocker panel
Cooling system appears to be shot (needs new radiator, fans, pipes, and
might as well change the hoses too, which would cost about $1500 in parts)
Trivial gearbox oil leak
Rear swaybar/bushings bad (I forgot to check the front, but new bushings
are cheap)
Black paint overspray on bare aluminum components
Engine doesn't present attractively and needs cosmetic attention
Engine doesn't idle properly
Ignition cuts out completely at 5000 rpm
Engine bay to decklid weatherstripping broken
Dubious Hall exhaust lets the car down aurally and cosmetically
Carpet is falling apart on driver's side
Naked speakers in the doors
Unfortunate choice of non-original headliner
Backup lights stuck on
One headlight high beam out

In short, I think this car is a terrific driver that has some very
desirable features (10-inch wheels, Wilwood brakes, new modern clutch, rebuilt
engine, really nice silver paint) that is somewhat let down by a host of
problems, most of them small and very easily sorted, but two of them significant
enough that I wouldn't be comfortable just jumping in the car and driving it
away (cooling system woes most importantly, but also the engine idle and high
rpm cut-out issues.

This is a car that would pay HUGE dividends to the do-it-yourselfer.   None
of the car's problems (apart from the small areas of sheetmetal rust) are
difficult to resolve, and it would be very easy to keep improving this car
over the space of a few weekends.   Replacing the whole cooling system would
be a big job, requiring the help of some friends to make it more enjoyable,
and the engine problems will require some detective work, but everything else
is fairly simple and straightforward.

I would say that the car would be very properly priced if it didn't have
the many small 'issues' and two larger ones.   As it stands, those issues
either need to be resolved, or the seller needs to show some financial
consideration for the buyer who will be left to contend with them before he can
actually drive and enjoy the car properly.

Depending on how much one values one's time to spend fixing the car (or
paying a mechanic $$$ to do it), I would say the car is probably worth in the
region of $65-70K as it stands.   Once its mechanical issues are dealt with,
for sure it would provide the new owner tremendous enjoyment, and at some
point in the future, while a new paint job would be a bit more expensive due
to the need to repair small parts of several panels, it's not going to have
the serious structural cancer that can quickly drive costs through the roof.

I wish both the seller and the eventual buyer good luck, and hope that this
car can find a loving home soon!