[DeTomaso] SN 5533 Racing Next Weekend - June 9-11 -- at Portland

Steve Lisa stevelisa at patentit.com
Wed Jun 14 12:56:31 EDT 2017

Gray, thanks for that information -- it is very encouraging.

Regards,

Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.com
Direct: 312-320-5888

<http://www.patentit.com>

*Please note our new Scottsdale address.  Our phone and fax numbers remain
the same.*

*Scottsdale Office* | *P*: 480.535.6656  |  *F:* 480.535.6628  |  *A:* 7689
East Paradise Lane, Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

*Chicago Office *|* P:* 312.752.4357  |  *F:* 312.896.5633  |  *A:* 55 E.
Monroe Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603
www.PatentIt.com

This email is confidential and privileged, and intended only for the
recipient above. If you received this email in error, please destroy all
copies of it and indicate such by return email to me. Thank you.

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 3:42 AM, Gray Gregory <rgg at gregorycook.com> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Sorry to hear about the motor but it sounds like you were well prepared
> for that possibility.
>
> The SVRA gold medallion program is not to onerous. They will not care
> about things like original wiring or radiator etc. they are primarily
> interested in the car looking and performing like it would have in the day.
> So no blatant modern performance upgrades and no modern looking add ons.
> For example they made me change the gauges in both of my cars from black
> bezel race tech gauges to period correct chrome bezel Smiths gauges. If you
> stick to your plan to build the car to 1972 FIA Group 3 spec you shouldn't
> have any problems.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Gray

-------------- next part --------------
   Gray, thanks for that information -- it is very encouraging.

   Regards,A
   Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
   Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.com
   Direct: 312-320-5888
   [1][SGL-Email-Logo.jpg]

   Please note our new Scottsdale address.A  Our phone and fax numbers
   remain the same.

   Scottsdale OfficeA |A P:A 480.535.6656A  |A A F:A 480.535.6628A
   |A A A:A 7689 East Paradise Lane, Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

   Chicago OfficeA |A P: 312.752.4357A  |A  F: 312.896.5633A  |A  A: 55 E.
   Monroe Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603
   [2]www.PatentIt.com
   On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 3:42 AM, Gray Gregory <[3]rgg at gregorycook.com>
     Sorry to hear about the motor but it sounds like you were well
     prepared for that possibility.
     The SVRA gold medallion program is not to onerous. They will not
     care about things like original wiring or radiator etc. they are
     primarily interested in the car looking and performing like it would
     have in the day. So no blatant modern performance upgrades and no
     modern looking add ons. For example they made me change the gauges
     in both of my cars from black bezel race tech gauges to period
     correct chrome bezel Smiths gauges. If you stick to your plan to
     build the car to 1972 FIA Group 3 spec you shouldn't have any
     problems.
     Good luck,
     Gray
     Our race weekend at Portland International Raceway is now behind
     us.A  The short story is it the car was great and a lot of fun, even
     in the pouring rain.
     We ran well Friday night with my son-in-law Dan driving, I drove
     Saturday in qualifying and the first Saturday vintage race, and then
     I worked the motor too hard in qualifying on Sunday morning for the
     second race and we blew it up.A  I spent too much time above 5000
     rpm, and the motor wasn't up to it.A  But, everything on the car
     worked perfectly for 2 solid hours of hard practicing, qualifying
     and racing.A  So - -that means we are getting closer.
     We had already decided before this event to remove the #2 engine
     (the one Asa Jay built - not the original which is still in a bag on
     an engine stand), as we are going to install the racing fuel cell.A
     We already made plans to convert Engine 2 to more of a mule race
     motor rather than a hot street motor.A  We would continue to run
     Engine 2 as a mule while we continue to sort the car and prep it for
     proper vintage racing.A  When the time comes - the original motor
     "Engine 1" will be built to proper FIA Specs as of 12/31/72 and its
     SVRA Gold Medallion inspection.
     Here is our next list of to do items (all with the goal of remaining
     as closely as possible to the FIA Group 3 legal as of 12/31/72):
     A  A 1. Remove, Rebuild and re-install #2 Engine as race mule
     (aiming for
     A  A similar output as the '72 Grp 3 engines - around 350-380
     reliable HP).
     A  A 2. Remove and rebuild original ZF transaxle (trans #1).
     A  A 3. Install fuel cell
     A  A 4. Install new ZF transaxle (trans #2) from our other GT40
     project for
     A  A continued race testing/development of SN5533.
     A  A 5. Install removable steering wheel.
     A  A 6. Add a remote ignition/start in place of the cig lighter, so
     a driver
     A  A can turn on and off the car when belted in.
     A  A 7. Hard wire the fans to a switch on radio delete panel.
     A  A 8. Try to replace the ammeter with something OEM-looking but
     working,
     A  A rather than watching it jump all over the place.
     A  A 9. Lower seat belt bar in cage (it is too high and not pulling
     us down
     A  A in our seat)
     A  A 10. Install trans and engine oil coolers in the location where
     the A/C
     A  A condenser was mounted)
     A  A 11. Start putting the car on a serious diet t0 get it down
     below 3000
     A  A lbs.A  We have removed the A/C, heater, radio, speakers,
     bumpers/attachment,
     A  A carpeting, original seats/brackets.A  But we have added a race
     A  A seats/brackets, a full cage with proper backing plates, and a
     fire system.
     A  A We are about to trade a fuel cell of the original tank, and add
     some
     A  A coolers.A  So, we are not making much progress on the diet
     plan.A  It weighs
     A  A 3200 lbs with driver and 8 gallons of fuel. I think the item
     will be to
     A  A remove the power windows and replace them with manual cranks.
     I am hopeful that after the August event in Portland, we will have
     in one year built a mechanically sound, legal, nearly original
     vintage racer.
     At that point, we will continue to race the car next year (2018)
     with goal of reverting *back* to 12/31/72 FIA specs items that are
     outside those specs.A  I am sure we will be allowed to keep most of
     the safety items in place.A  But, I need to figure out what SVRA
     Gold Medallion is going to require for things like original wiring,
     fuel pump, radiator, etc.A  The entire engine/trans program will
     need to be based on the original engine #1 and trans #1, and I will
     need to make the original 7" and 8" wheels work (which is why I had
     a set of 7" and 8" Bassett wheels built to test with).
     It may take several attempts to get past the inspection, but in the
     meantime, it will be fully legal for SVRA/HSR Group 5 racing at any
     most any event.
     It was nice to meet Stephen Nelson and see his Pantera (which he
     brought ot the track and which is very, very tastefully done).A  I
     have attached a few pictures.A  Lots more are in the shared
     folder.A  I have an in car video of qualifying it the rain if anyone
     is interested - just ping me.
     A 2017-June-PIR-drive-download-20170613T164341Z-0...
     <[6]https://drive.google.com/a/patentit.com/file/d/
     0B8l5rUbcj5zjRWtheWdQOUJ6OUE/view?usp=drive_web>
     Regards,
     Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
     Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.com
     Direct: [7]312-320-5888
     <[8]http://www.patentit.com>
     *Please note our new Scottsdale address.A  Our phone and fax numbers
     remain the same.*
     *Scottsdale Office* | *P*: [9]480.535.6656A  |A  *F:*
     [10]480.535.6628A  |A  *A:* 7689 East Paradise Lane, Suite 2,
     Scottsdale, AZ 85260
     *Chicago Office *|* P:* [11]312.752.4357A  |A  *F:*
     [12]312.896.5633A  |A  *A:* 55 E.
     Monroe Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603 [13]www.PatentIt.com
     <[14]stevelisa at patentit.com> wrote:
     > Sorry all - the link for photo sharing was wrong:
     >
     >A  A  - [15]https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/
     0B8l5rUbcj5zjUEhMMnFYeE0wZEU?
     >A  A  usp=sharing
     >

     > Regards,
     >
     > Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
     > Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.com
     > Direct: [16]312-320-5888 <(312)%20320-5888>
     >
     > <[17]http://www.patentit.com>
     >
     > *Please note our new Scottsdale address.A  Our phone and fax
     numbers
     > remain the same.*
     >
     > *Scottsdale Office* | *P*: [18]480.535.6656 <(480)%20535-6656>A
     |A  *F:*
     > [19]480.535.6628 <(480)%20535-6628>A  |A  *A:* 7689 East Paradise
     Lane,
     > Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
     >
     > *Chicago Office *|* P:* [20]312.752.4357 <(312)%20752-4357>A  |A
     *F:*
     > [21]312.896.5633 <(312)%20896-5633>A  |A  *A:* 55 E. Monroe
     Street, Suite

     <[23]stevelisa at patentit.com> wrote:

> [...]
     >> evening June 9, and I hope to be running the vintage race in VP3
     on
     >> Saturday (the 10th) and Sunday (if all goes well).A  I have
     attached a pdf of the schedule.

     >> Last time was fun but ended early with brake failure.A  We also
     had
     >> some electrical/coil gremlins.A  Thanks to all those that tried
     to help!

     >> I am still relatively new to this project, and would welcome
     >> knowledgeable Pantera owners out to give us some advice.A  If any
     of
     >> the Portland group are looking for something to do, we would love
     >> see you out there!A  10-day forecast says rain most of the
     weekend (we
     >> have full rain tires).
     >>
     >> Hopefully it won't be a fire drill, but it is only the second
     race
     >> event for the car - call my cell to make sure we are running
     before
     >> you make a long trip [24](312-320-5888 <(312)%20320-5888>).
     >>
     >> Since our last event we have:
     >>
     >>A  A  1. Put the new brake booster on (went to the upgraded one
     for safety
     >>A  A  reasons after the original failed at the end of PIR
     straightaway);
     >>A  A  2. added the vented rotors front and rear (thanks Mike!);
     >>A  A  3. Changed to full race pads;
     >>A  A  4. fabricated ducts on the backing plates and properly
     ducted the
     >>A  A  still stock brake calipers;
     >>A  A  5. Stripped and cleaned up the front trunk area;
     >>A  A  6. Added some better shrouding around the radiator to force
     air
     >>A  A  through it rather than over it;
     >>A  A  7. rewired the kill switch and added a larger engine ground
     (we were
     >>A  A  for some reason killing the coil, and finally added a
     resistor to cut the
     >>A  A  voltage to the coil, which seemed to work -- fingers
     crossed!);
     >>A  A  8. made the window nets SCCA legal.
     >>A  A  9. Did our usual race prep.
     >>
     >> We previously:
     >>
     >>A  A  1. Made the roll cage removable but still full race legal -
     tons of
     >>A  A  work - backing plates, adding side impact bars, and rear
     bars to rear shock
     >>A  A  towers.
     >>A  A  2. Removed rear window and replaced with Lexan.
     >>A  A  3. Lowered the seats,
     >>A  A  4. removed all carpeting and stripped and cleaned up the
     floor
     >>A  A  5. removed the AC system
     >>A  A  6. removed the bumpers and related hardware
     >>A  A  7. removed the radio and adding cover plates
     >>A  A  8. added a full race fire extinguisher system
     >>A  A  9. added cut off switch in the original radiator location
     >>A  A  10. added front driving lights
     >>A  A  11. added race seats.
     >>A  A  12. Had custom Bassett wheels made and fitted for Hoosier
     TDS vintage